Synthetic 0W20 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a VOA for a house brand synthetic 0W20 and wanted to get everyone's thoughts. This looks to me to be a high quality product at a lower cost.

API SN
Silicon 4
Potassium 2
Sodium 2.3

Visc@100C 8.6
TBN 8.0

Boron 322
Barium 0
Calcium 2000
Magnesium 14.3
Phosphorus 710
Zinc 790

Iron .5
Nickel 0
Chromium .05
Tin 0
Copper 0
Lead 0
Silver 0
Aluminum 2.5
Molybdenum 74

Does this look good? How does it compare to Mobil1, PP, etc.?

Thanks for your post on this oil. Nice oil with good starting TBN. Hefty dose of Boron, Magnesium and nice taste of Moly.

The only things I don't like are the Iron, Silicone, Aluminum and Sodium.

So what's the name of this "House" or "store" brand oil? Does this oil have the API Starburst on the front of the bottle and what are the certifications from API and ILSAC?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I should say the brand as I believe the information was given to me confidentially. The bottle has the API Starburst, ILSAC GF-5, and GM 6094M. Is the TBN low for a high quality synthetic?

Last edited:
If you were so concerned about your integrity and confidentiality then why did you post this information on a Public Forum????

Are you feeling okay??????

Originally Posted By: c3uo
I'm not sure if I should say the brand as I believe the information was given to me confidentially. The bottle has the API Starburst, ILSAC GF-5, and GM 6094M. Is the TBN low for a high quality synthetic?

I don't see how it can be confidential if you got it from a third-party and you have no agreement... especially when we can go buy a house brand and get a VOA and post it online

Sorry, I just wanted opinions on whether it appeared to be a good product with a good additive package. It is cheaper then M1 or PP and I wondered if it looked like a good product....

The oil does looks good based on the info given.
What's missing is a KV40 spec' so that we can determine the oil's VI; an important attribute in a 0W-XX oil.

BTW c3uo, I think you're being unduly secretive in not divulging the name of the oil. Anybody can have any oil that's sold in the marketplace tested and post the results. I don't think you're telling the whole story here.

Originally Posted By: c3uo
Sorry, I just wanted opinions on whether it appeared to be a good product with a good additive package. It is cheaper then M1 or PP and I wondered if it looked like a good product....

Yes but is it cheaper than the Toyota Brand 0W-20, Honda/Acura Brand 0W-20 or Mazda Brand 0W-20 which are all excellent oils in the 5 bucks/L range or less. And then there is Petro-Canada's 0W-20 that's not much more.

To me the add pack kind of looks like something that would be used in a synthetic blend rather than a full synthetic SN.

Last edited:
Seems close to QSUD SN 5w-20:

Silicon = 3
Potassium = 0
Sodium = 2

Visc@100C = 8.81
TBN = 9.2

Boron = 10
Barium = 0
Calcium = 2453
Magnesium = 11
Phosphorus = 768