Synth OC Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I however have used QS "Q" with fantastic results so why you decided to switch I can't figure out.

That's good to know. It could very well be that I didn't need to change my oil at that timne, that I did so based on another myth from the parts store. :no-no:

Although I use M1 as a standard I found the "Q" much better. Using "Syntec" is fine oil too so you decide.

I'll feel much more educated about oils the next time I go to buy oil at Wally World or parts stores and will no longer look to them for advice, as they seem to only be up to date on *myths*. Was thinking I might switch to Syntec blend next time, but I might see what I can get on sale.

One thing I think you should do is on the weekends I'd take your car for a good spin to get the oil nice n' hot to drive out the moisture that accumulates inside the crankcase. That's what I do once per week for my truck/car dispite the advances in synthetic oil.

How many miles would you call a good spin? I took it out for 90 miles the other day. I tend to think 30 or 40 miles would have been enough to burn off any moisture also. Thanks for your reply.

Durango

Lurch

Synthetics are technically "better" but you may never see a tangible difference.

Good point you make here. Again I will say it's good to be here and get past the oil myths that parts store people rarely seem to understand, and/or the sales hype takes over.

Pennzoil Platinum seems to be a great oil and Syntec is as well. If you want to save some money, try Syntec blend and get a UOA somewhere along the way and see how it's doing.

I'll do that. Sounds like a plan.

Always change the filter because it's easy to do a adds minimal expense unless you go M1 or K&N.

Sorry to ask another question but are you saying I could leave a K&N oil filter (which is what's in my car now) in for another year? I was reading about oil filters here last night and was surprised that many people seem to change the oil filter every other OC because they say filters actually become more efficient after the 1st OCI..

Lurch

Lurch,

The opinions from the auto parts store vary allot regarding oil.
It's all part of being educated in the subject. You too after a while will formulate your own opinion based on mostly facts and your personal preferenc.

When I take me car/truck for a spin I generally go the same distance as you do so your doing fine. By doing that for MY car and truck I simulate a moore average driving style so that way I'll do my oil changes around every 6 months instead of 3 like I use to when I was younger and the gas price was around 1 buck.

Regarding oil filters I would change it every time you change the oil.

Durango

Many people do run 2 oil changes on a filter. Could you do it...Yes. But why? They are cheap to buy and you only change the oil and filter once a year anyway so price is not a big concern.

It is reported that they filter better as they get used as bigger pores in the filter media become closed off.

But if you use a quality filter in the first place that really is not an issue.

**Don't count on Auto Parts employees to know anything about oil or filters

Last edited:
You can run filters for more than one OCI if you are not putting too many miles on them. The Mobil 1 and K&N, which I believe are the same product with the exception of the nut, can handle it, but I prefer to get a 100% change of my oil. Why leave the contaminants that are in the filter behind.

As for taking your car for a drive to heat up the oil, the theory is sound, but if you drive 30-40 miles on a regular basis your going to spend more money (and waste time) than simply draining your oil. Maxlife is $14 for a 5 quart jug so how far can you go for $14 in gas?

I wouldn't worry about it in the 3-5,000 mile range, even over a year, but financially you'd be better off running a cheap dino and changing it every six months and reusing the filter. I suspect that if your normal travels took you on a long trip every couple of months there's no reason to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back