Syl Glyde….best for weatherstripping?

@PimTac , you use a certain rubber/plastics preservative do you not? Gyeon Preserve?

For rubber, see attached, as a good product, too.

I use the Gyeon Preserve on all the plastic trim.

For seals I use Gummi Pflege. Shin Etsu is another excellent choice. In my experience it has been faster to apply the Gummi Pflege so I stuck with that.

Please follow up with your impression of the Gummi Pfeg Stift.

For those praising Shin Etsu, isn't it just another silicone grease with a different label? How is it different than the oft recommended 3M and Mission silicone greases?

EDIT: I thought that maybe because it is listed as low temperature grease, it might be less thick, but it's ASTM penetration of 240-280 is equivalent to NLGI grade 2. "Honda part number 08798-9013 is now the shin Etsu G-30M"

"According to a Honda representative, after the Honda Civic del Sol came out in 1992, dealers started receiving complaints about the car's less-than-weather-tight targa roof. Looking for a solution, the American arm of Honda found an existing fix in the global parts catalog: Shin-Etsu grease. Service departments then made it part of their response to squeaks and leaks."

(I could have sworn there was an interview online with the Honda rep that they probably are indirectly referencing, but I can't find it...)

There's a table on page 20 of the Shin-Etsu catalog that I've always found very interesting, it indicates that the G-30 silicone base oil is rather unfriendly to the EPDM rubber that most weather stripping is made out of, at high temperatures at least. It does note that the effect is much less pronounced when the oil is compounded as grease, and when used on weather stripping it'll never see anything approaching those temperatures.

Clearly it's not an issue for the application we're discussing, as Honda recommends it and everyone swears by it, but it just goes to show how complicated this subject is.

Personally I had access to Molykote 55 O-Ring Grease so decided to give that a try instead of going out and buying G-30M, I applied it to some rather sticky door / trunk seals and have been quite happy with the results.

Gummi Pflege used to be the thing for noisy BMW door seals and I recall people thinking it was breaking down the rubber. And BMW then switched to Carbaflo

Back