switching to amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright. I want to switch to an extended drain on my 98 maxima(vq3000 engine). It's got 73k right now. I just past 3750 miles on the last oil change. I'm wondering if I should do amsoil flush or auto rx before switching. been running castrol gtx.

quote:

Originally posted by SamMan23:
alright. I want to switch to an extended drain on my 98 maxima(vq3000 engine). It's got 73k right now. I just past 3750 miles on the last oil change. I'm wondering if I should do amsoil flush or auto rx before switching. been running castrol gtx.

Yes i recommend doing an Amsoil flush with that kind of mileage.

I think you should just switch, but don't go beyond say 6-7K miles the first interval and do a UOA to make sure your engine is sound.

If your engine dirty inside, then AutoRx is the ticket.

You know this is the ideal time to do Auto-Rx!!! You are under 100,000 miles so one bottle will take car of it! Even if the engine is relatively clean Auto-Rx is still worth while! It clean all the componets that oil touch's includeing you seals. It will recondition them with out harming them in any way. Their is no solvent in Auto-Rx. Most problems associted with ageing and millage in a car usualy relate to seal failure in some way valve stem seals, cam seals,rear main, front main, oil pickup o-ring, valve cover, oil pan, a tiny seal in a tensioner leaking down etc. THe other great think about auto-rx is that it will clean the ring pack of your pistons some and the oil pick-up screen and tube. Most peoples pick up screens are starting to get enough build up from years of use by 100,000-120,000 to reduce flow by 10%-30%.

Auto-Rx will break down sludge and help the filter trap it if their is any in the engine. IF you have any seals that have started to dry out and harden Auto-Rx can help reverse this.

SamMan23,

I have a 2k Maxima with 54,000 miles on it using synthetic since 10,000 miles starting with Mobil 1. I am currently using the Amsoil ASL 5w-30 which is a great oil for the $$$. I am going to take the AutoRx plunge at the next OCI (oil change interval).

I would start with the AutoRx and the Castrol GTX that you have been using, 10w-30 preferrably.
Stick with the Castrol GTX for the treatment (1,500 miles)and the flush (2,000-3,000 miles)before going to Amsoil. If you are on a tight budget, the Amsoil engine flush would be an option.

I have used both the Amsoil flush and AutoRx. I was happier with the AutoRx results on my old Altima.

Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
You know this is the ideal time to do Auto-Rx!!! You are under 100,000 miles so one bottle will take car of it! Even if the engine is relatively clean Auto-Rx is still worth while! It clean all the componets that oil touch's includeing you seals. It will recondition them with out harming them in any way. Their is no solvent in Auto-Rx. Most problems associted with ageing and millage in a car usualy relate to seal failure in some way valve stem seals, cam seals,rear main, front main, oil pickup o-ring, valve cover, oil pan, a tiny seal in a tensioner leaking down etc. THe other great think about auto-rx is that it will clean the ring pack of your pistons some and the oil pick-up screen and tube. Most peoples pick up screens are starting to get enough build up from years of use by 100,000-120,000 to reduce flow by 10%-30%.

Auto-Rx will break down sludge and help the filter trap it if their is any in the engine. IF you have any seals that have started to dry out and harden Auto-Rx can help reverse this.

Yeah but will it help me look younger??? Anyhow I do have a question about Auto-Rx. What is it and where can I buy it? I've been reading this board for several months now but haven't picked up on where to obtain this miracle cleaner.

FOr once we have some modern chemistry that actualy works!!! You can buy it right here at this site. You can also go the Auto-Rx site. Just key in auto-rx into google or yahoo and hit enter! If you look under the additive forum every reply Frank posts has the web site hyper linked! He is also a site sponsor and linked on the main page! It is either www.autorx.com or www.auto-rx.com ! either way it should not take months of reading this site to find it online!!

How come you can add this to your existing synthetic oil, but your supposed to do the rinsing step with dino oil??

Thats what I want to know also? Can I do all the steps using synth or semi synth.
I do a lot of short trip driving and want better protection than a petro oil.

I would like to know why I have to use Petro oil?

Frank at auto-rx really recommends dino for the application and the rinse. I think there have been numerous posts on this in the past and it's on his web site as well. The short version is the organic esters in AutoRx "compete" with synthetic oil at the metal surfaces.

It seems to me that if one was using a High quality oil and changing at a realistic interval and not trying to go a million miles to justify an over priced synthetic, that the need for an auto rx product would not be there.

Synthetic oil is fine for cleaning your engine with Auto-Rx ( it's not good if you have developed seal leaks,sludge,heavy oil burning here is situation where you would start off with Dino Oil )The "Rinse"cycle is with Dino oil, because Synthetic oil does not give same "Quick"release of liquified particulates now laying on your internal engine parts after cleaning.You can go back to synthetic oil after your Auto-Rx Application is done, with no problem.

Would you use maintenance amount of Auto-Rx with synthetic oil ? Yes, benefits of keeping ring packs clean seals pliable and gains in compression and efficency of combustion (from cleansing ) remain constant and consistent through every oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back