Switching over to either Chevron or Mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually don't post here very often. I'm more of a lurky lew.

I'm currently running Amsoil 0w30 with a SDF filter and I couldn't be happier with the way the truck runs. My truck BTW is a 98 Ford Ranger with a 2.5L dual plug 4banger

The oil and filter have about 7000 miles on it, yea I know it's pushing it alittle. So I would like to try a diff oil and I've been reading about some good oils you can buy locally which I'm all for.

Both Mobil and Chevron Delo synthetic are good oils, if not top notch oils for being off the shelf. I have learned that using the 0w oils are better for start up situations and faster lubrication, thus far making for less wear. I have chosen to stick with 0w30 seeing I don't pull any trailers or haul anything heavy and I 99% of the time I use my truck for general running around and so forth. 0w30 should suit me fine

I have no doubt in my mind that Amsoil makes a killer oil but it's getting to be a royal pain in the butt for me to order then having to wait a week, it gets old after awhile. Which is why I want to buy locally. So if you had a decision between mobil or chevron delo synthetic which one would you go??? please no bashing. I'm just asking for a simple opnion and answer. Thanks,,,,AR

p.s I havn't decided what filter to use yet. I'm thinking mobil with either oil. Though in bob's filter test thread, the mobil was on the strict side If I remember correctly. I was just looking on chevrons site and I can't seem to find a 0w30 synthetic, that blows. I'm still open for opinions

[ March 24, 2004, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Airborne Ranger ]

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:

So if you had a decision between mobil or chevron delo synthetic which one would you go??? please no bashing. I'm just asking for a simple opnion and answer. Thanks,,,,AR

I would pick the 10w-30 Mobil PAO Synthetic and a Motorcraft oil filter .

Generally speaking, my choices would be:

1) Belgium VW Castrol Syntec 5w-40 in summer
German Castrol GC 0w-30 in winter

2) M1 SUV 5w-40 in summer
Saab Synthetic 0w-30 in winter(a Mobil produkt)

3) Syntec Blend 10w-40 summer
Syntec Blend 5w-30 in winter

....or any of these year-round! I use #1 because I am a Castrol guy, #2 would suit a Mobil guy, #3 is a reasonable choice based on UOAs, and it's an A3-rated oil for $2
grin.gif

[ March 24, 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Generally speaking, my choices would be:

1) Belgium VW Castrol Syntec 5w-40 in summer
German Castrol GC 0w-30 in winter

Why bother switching? If anything, the GC 0w30 would be the better choice for all year round including summer. In my 6200 mile interval it went from 12.2 to 12.9cst at 100c, while the 5w40 stuff starts out at 12.9 and quite possibly would end up thinner than 12, as I think this oil has a lot more VII in it.

I prefer to run the same oil all year round and be consistent. There are tons of good oils out there which can handle both extreme cold and extreme heat.

I also had a 98 Ranger with the 2.5 4 banger, I ran either Amsoil 5w30 or Havoline 5w30. It seemed to like both just fine. The only difference that I noticed was that the Amsoil would stay much cleaner for a longer period of time. With regular oil changes the 2.5 will last much longer than you will probably ever keep the truck. It is another bullit-proof Ford motor. Yes, I am a Ford guy!
grin.gif
The 2.5 is just a stroked 2.3 which has been proven to live forever. Good luck with whatever you choose! P.S., have you tried any speed shops for the Amsoil? I have a couple of places near me that sell it for about $5 per quart.

Hey,

I'm the same way. I like to be consistent with my engine oils, but this is just me. I have decided to go with M1 0w30 supersyn and a M1 filter. Maybe next time I can give the GC a go and see how the truck acts. I will also send in a UOA with a TBN report. Once I get that back I will post my results. The Amsoil had about 7000 on it like I mentioned before. I'm pretty confident I will see some good news. thanks everyone,,,,AR

Given your climate, why not try Mobil1 5w30. It is very easy to find almost anywhere and unless you are looking at truly arctic conditions, should provide ample cold start protection. If you have easy access to the M1 0w30, it should work equally well.

[ March 24, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

Patman, you are probally right. I was just trying to save my GC stash, but that is meaningless. I just paid like $3.25 for my last case of GC, I have about 8. For the BC, I need 4 more bottles at $5. However, I am using the BC in our old I-5 Audi and it really is working nicely.

My $0.02:

Ohio weather ~= New York Weather (downstate). In my climate, in a truck, I'd use the M1 5w40 Truck/SUV.

Disclaimer: You didn't give the viscosity that the manual calls for given the temp ranges you'll likely see. My recommendation could change based on that

Observation: You could use ANY of the recommendations given, and not see a lick of difference.

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:
My $0.02:

Ohio weather ~= New York Weather (downstate). In my climate, in a truck, I'd use the M1 5w40 Truck/SUV. For a filter, I like the Pure One filters, if you're going with a longer OCI on a synthetic oil. Cheaper than M1, better than the other 'normal' filters.

Disclaimer: You didn't give the viscosity that the manual calls for given the temp ranges you'll likely see. My recommendation could change based on that

Observation: You could use ANY of the recommendations given, and not see a lick of difference.

I would use the mobil 1 because I know its history. UOA on this site show it to be one of the best. The Chevron may be as good or better as well as the German Castrol just not as proven to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back