Switching Oil viscosity giving Quicksilver a try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
What I'm saying is that either Mercury has fabricated this "No VI" story, or the oil is finding some other way to shear. This is not new or unheard of.

Or nothing is shearing at all, instead the measurements are faulty or there is fuel dilution that's being interpreted as shearing. The 20-30 carbon chain length of lubricating oil is extremely tiny and is very stable. I've done ball mill experiments that demonstrate extremely high shear and impact forces and I've never seen that small of a hydrocarbon chain broken by mechanical forces.

I call nonsense, but maybe that's just me.

Any other oil shears, and it's accepted the oil shears.

But Mercury oil shears, and it's just impossible it can happen.

That's what I call nonsense.

We've seen oil from every manufacturer shear. But Mercury of all people is supposed to have developed oil that's impossible to shear. Yeah, ok.

Oil molecules don't shear. They are far too small. Polymers like VI improvers shear. Viscosity loss in an oil with no polymer is not due to mechanical shear.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Shearing is when a 40 weight oil "shears" down to a 30 weight oil ect.
However its meaningless to judge an oil on shearing only, more so in a forum without any proof, a UOA and the engine make and model.

Just hearsay but no factual helpful information as far as your particular vehicle, your vehicle engine design and type of use is responsible how much your oil shears but some will look towards an oil to help make up for engine design and some oils will be better to handle it, in theory ...

So I question any post that states any particular oil shears easy, even more so when an oil states it is designed to be more shear stable..

Shear to 20wt:
http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/17412-mercruiser-25w40-used-oil-analysis/

Quote:
Here is the quick summary of results:
All wear metals are approximately the same regardless of the oil in use, within test variances.
All final TBN values are strong, ranging from 4 to about 5.5, so plenty of additive left after a season.
All oils sheered to some extent, but the Mercruiser branded oil sheered from a 40 to a 20, and all others sheered from a 40 to a 30.

This is VERY typical on the small blocks which typically have little or no oil cooler.

Whats shearing is the oil itself. VI is not necessary for this to happen.

Marketing is a lot different than what goes on in the field.

1. Nothing in this post (and UOA) indicates shearing, one would need to see the actual UOA since this one is missing information, such as fuel and why, seeing actual test results are far better.

2. Can not rely on 1 hand typed UOA from one owner as fact.
Just not enough VOAs and UOAs on this oil, even the boron and mag doesnt seem to add up and without current info not possible to know.

3. I do know one thing, MANY years ago my brother put Castrol 20w50 in his 30 foot Searay with Twin V-6 engines instead of his usual 25/40 merc oil, figures it would be just as good and much cheaper.
Well, after a run out into the ocean, once back at his home, the engines sounded like a bucket of bolts with the valves clapping and he changed it out back to Merc. My brother, not really into this stuff like I am, was bewildered at the difference running the Castrol and how noisy the engine was.

4. Due to lack of UOAs on this oil, not possible to be sure but the UOA you posted, the make up of the oil doenst seem right either.
But here is a UOA from almost 14 years ago with MASSIVE fuel dulation and still higher viscosity then the one posted above where the person left out that informatio.
Without knowing fuel dilution its not possible to take the viscosity of any UOA serious and I am wondering why the person left it out ... here is one with it in.
Click 25w40 Merc oil

5. Another with less fuel but still alot ... Click, still in grade

Last edited:
In addition to the above post, here is the Holy Grail of current UOAs comparing Quicksilver (semi syn) 25/40 with other brands on marine engines.
The Holy Grail ! Click! :eek:)

Quicksilver held up best though did get knocked down a grade, yet there is still some fuel in the oil too and others knocked down more.
Very interesting though. Also for those that do not know, Scarab 30T is a high performance boat.

Last edited:

Shearing is when a 40 weight oil "shears" down to a 30 weight oil ect.
However its meaningless to judge an oil on shearing only, more so in a forum without any proof, a UOA and the engine make and model.

Just hearsay but no factual helpful information as far as your particular vehicle, your vehicle engine design and type of use is responsible how much your oil shears but some will look towards an oil to help make up for engine design and some oils will be better to handle it, in theory ...

So I question any post that states any particular oil shears easy, even more so when an oil states it is designed to be more shear stable..

Shear to 20wt:
http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/17412-mercruiser-25w40-used-oil-analysis/

Quote:
Here is the quick summary of results:
All wear metals are approximately the same regardless of the oil in use, within test variances.
All final TBN values are strong, ranging from 4 to about 5.5, so plenty of additive left after a season.
All oils sheered to some extent, but the Mercruiser branded oil sheered from a 40 to a 20, and all others sheered from a 40 to a 30.

This is VERY typical on the small blocks which typically have little or no oil cooler.

Whats shearing is the oil itself. VI is not necessary for this to happen.

Marketing is a lot different than what goes on in the field.

1. Nothing in this post (and UOA) indicates shearing, one would need to see the actual UOA since this one is missing information, such as fuel and why, seeing actual test results are far better.

2. Can not rely on 1 hand typed UOA from one owner as fact.
Just not enough VOAs and UOAs on this oil, even the boron and mag doesnt seem to add up and without current info not possible to know.

3. I do know one thing, MANY years ago my brother put Castrol 20w50 in his 30 foot Searay with Twin V-6 engines instead of his usual 25/40 merc oil, figures it would be just as good and much cheaper.
Well, after a run out into the ocean, once back at his home, the engines sounded like a bucket of bolts with the valves clapping and he changed it out back to Merc. My brother, not really into this stuff like I am, was bewildered at the difference running the Castrol and how noisy the engine was.

4. Due to lack of UOAs on this oil, not possible to be sure but the UOA you posted, the make up of the oil doenst seem right either.
But here is a UOA from almost 14 years ago with MASSIVE fuel dulation and still higher viscosity then the one posted above where the person left out that informatio.
Without knowing fuel dilution its not possible to take the viscosity of any UOA serious and I am wondering why the person left it out ... here is one with it in.
Click 25w40 Merc oil

5. Another with less fuel but still alot ... Click, still in grade

1. I'm not seeing any evidence that what the oil was 14 years ago is what it is now.

2. I never said anything about Castrol 20w50.

3. I have more, complete UOA's of this oil shearing without significant fuel dilution that I will be posting.

4. 21 whole hours and still in grade? Wow! what an amazing feat!
laugh.gif

In addition to the above post, here is the Holy Grail of current UOAs comparing Quicksilver (semi syn) 25/40 with other brands on marine engines.
The Holy Grail ! Click! :eek:)

Quicksilver held up best though did get knocked down a grade, yet there is still some fuel in the oil too and others knocked down more.
Very interesting though. Also for those that do not know, Scarab 30T is a high performance boat.

Holy Grail? Because you say so?

Nobody, including the thread poster calls it that.

Your "Holy Grail" is a comparison between only 3 oils:

Quicksilver
Pennzoil
Yamalube

No popular HDEO in there.
No high performance engine oil in there.

There's nothing truly good in there to compare it to.

Wow, your being really argumentative, dont take it so personal.
By Holy Grail I meant the UOA posting the guy did was so complete, details and different oils. My god, how often do people posting UOAs post such complete information together with past UOAs ... but just compare it to the hand typed link of UOA you posted and I think Holy Grail is appropriate.

Your clearly jaded at the way you are looking at this and grabbing at straws. Everyone can read and make their own decisions. Information and also lack of information is out there.

Im just highlighting facts that you post ONE incomplete old UOA and make up this whole story line about a different oil based on this UOA , that this other oil might not be a good motorcycle oil because of it.
Not only that, it is missing key information and even if it wasnt incomplete one UOA is hardly a sample to judge an oil.

Not only that but your replies are debating my posts on my reasons for having respect for Quicksilver lubricants, I am not debating you, so if your going to debate all I am pointing out is one old UOA, hand typed and missing KEY information doesnt cut it. ... and this is supposed to be a guys thread on motorcycle oil.

Click, 21 hours??? but anyway, there is a marine oil section to BITOG

The information is what it is, the OP knows my thoughts, no need to reply any further to you in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back