Switching Linux distros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so about a month ago I installed Linux (Zorin) on an older desktop computer. I decided I wanted to switch to a different Linux distro (Linux Mint). So I have the boot DVD made with Linux Mint, but the computer will not boot from the DVD. I've tried setting it to boot from the DVD drive in the BIOS, But it still won't boot from the disc... Any ideas? I'm not to familiar with Linux yet, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I had a similar problem with my son's laptop when installing a fresh copy of Windows 7. Long story short, the drive is bad. The drive is a CD/DVD combo drive and the ability to read a DVD stopped working but the drive behaved like it did. Funny thing was, it would read CD's just fine. I ended up installing the OS from a bootable usb thumb drive.

I usually use a usb stick with "startup disc creator" as my cd burner is flaky.
Pretty reliable this way.
Otherwise I would suspect iso corrupt or bios not set.
Good luck.....

You guys think it could be a bad disc if it worked on VMware? I thought maybe it was just that I don't know how to get it to boot from a disc on Linux..

So you booted the disc media on the very same drive on VMWare?

Or did you boot an ISO image?
Or is VMware on different hardware?

VMware is on my Windows 8.1 laptop. Totally different computer. I did boot it with the disc though, not just the iso. I just used that drive on the older computer about a month ago to put Zorin on and all worked fine...

I changed the BIOS setting to boot from the DVD as the number one option. I even went as far as disabling all the other options to "force" it to boot from the DVD drive. All I got was a message saying no boot disc was found. Sound like the drive is going?

Yep it's the drive. Confirmed it with a music CD and then I went to the computer folder and it's not even showing anymore. About 2 weeks ago I cleaned out the computer of dust, including the DVD drive because the drive door would stick sometimes. Well something must have come loose. I'm going to open it up an look inside. Anything in particular I should look for?

I like it a lot so far. I haven't been able to do much with it because I have to upgrade the RAM to two GBs before it's going to work. It won't load properly with only one GB of RAM.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I like it a lot so far. I haven't been able to do much with it because I have to upgrade the RAM to two GBs before it's going to work. It won't load properly with only one GB of RAM.

?!?!?!?!?!

I will presume you have the Cinnamon version in 64 bits? I cannot imagine anything else needing that kinda RAM in order to run.

Try the 32 bit MATE version if you don't need all that "pretty". It'll scream fast with 1GB of RAM!

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

?!?!?!?!?!

I will presume you have the Cinnamon version in 64 bits? I cannot imagine anything else needing that kinda RAM in order to run.

Try the 32 bit MATE version if you don't need all that "pretty". It'll scream fast with 1GB of RAM!

Cinnamon 32 bit. I'll give MATE a try.

Mate works great! Thanks!

MATE is a fork of the now-defunct and no longer supported Gnome 2 desktop environment, which was *rock* *flippin'* *solid*. Luckily, someone with some gumption decided to fork the whole thing and continue to maintain it and it looks very, very promising for those not who do not need or want a lot of eye candy; which is not to say that MATE is ugly, just that it is without, by default, a lot of whiz-band 3D graphics and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back