Switching from Amsoil SSO to GC in a 98 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a stash of GC that I use on the AMG. I was wondering if I could expect a noticeable difference in MPG if I switched to this thick 30wt? The SSO is definately smooth, but in the interest of using up what I have, I have found myself in a quandry.

You have a year on the SSO already? Noticable difference? A good bet would be no. Unless you are an Amsoil dealer then you would notice a large difference.Or so it would seem .

I have a Honda 250 Rebel motorcycle. On cold mornings I have noticed a difference between 20w-50 and 10w-40. The heavier oil does seem to make the bike sound and act more sluggish than the thinner oil.
What's this got to do with the price of tea in China? Not much. For a large water cooled engine that's in a climate that really doesn't get that cold, the oil just doesn't stay down at any low temperature for long enough to matter. In a 19 horsepower air cooled motorcycle at 35 degrees? You can feel the difference between the two grades but still I don't worry about engine damage, I just don't get on it and romp it at that temp with 20w-50 in the crankcase.
As I and others have said before. Oil is oil and you can't make it into something it isn't. Amsoil is a good product worth what you pay for it for what it's intended to do, and I'm a dealer. But it ain't magic.
Steve

I don't know. My wife saw an increase when we put her Grand Cherokee on SSO. I just started using my stash of old oil in other things.

If you don't have any where else to use it, put it in on your next change. No sense in letting it go to waste.

Quote:
Unless you are an Amsoil dealer then you would notice a large difference.Or so it would seem .

You raise an interesting point. I think to some degree you are correct. I do like Amsoil though.

Actually, if you change over, your hair will turn gray and/or fall out, your face will wrinkle, your posture will become stooped, your teeth may fall out, your real estate appraisal will at least double--as will your credit card rate.
Other than that, not a lot of difference.

Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back