switched to 5w30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Hopefully some of you can ease my concerns.

So, here's the deal. I have an 07 Jetta. It calls for Synthetic 5w40. Yesterday I went to do an oil change. I went to my local Advance Auto and they had absolutely no 5w40. Next was Salvo, but what they had was so expensive. I need 6.5 quarts.

I went to the Walmart(I figured they wouldn't have what I needed, and they didn't) and by this time it was getting late. So, I picked up what I needed in Pennzoil Ultra/5w30. I figured it was close and was getting frustrated by running all over on my day off.

After the oil change and a day later, I'm feeling like I may have made a mistake. I need to make this vehicle last.

Will my car know the difference in the grade? Should I change it out? Should I maybe change it out sooner. I usually go about 6-7 months or about 7K miles.

Thanks,
Marc

Thanks for the advice.

Well, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 won't meet the VW specs.

However, if your Jetta has a normally aspirated gas engine, you're probably be ok. If it's the TDI or 2.0T engine, I'd be a little concerned.

However, one OCI will probably be OK either way. Maybe do a UOA for the sake of science!

It's a regular gas 2.5. Maybe I'll just do a shorter OCI.

It sucks, because the 5w40 was near impossible to find yesterday. Walmart has such good prices, but they don't carry it.

Why doesn't the Ultra meet the specs. I remembered when they were on here promoting it, I thought they said it met all manufacturer specs? Maybe I am wrong.

The thing is, Walmart didn't have any Syntec or Synpower(Valvoline… not sure if I have the right name). I'd have gone with the Syntec. They had only PP and Ultra in the 5w30.

I need to find a place with good deals on 5w40. Or at least a place that has it at this point.

I'd baby it for as long as it's in there.... no hard acceleration, no high RPM....forget that, I'd change it to M1 0w-40 and flog on it.

I wouldn't toss the ultra though...be careful draining it and put it something that needs it.

Last edited:
If you have an engine problem driving normally with this oil, the engine is a pile of rubbish. The 40grade is for autobahn storming at 160KPH+ in 25C weather. If there is a problem the engine will tell you by slapping and knocking and being down on power when warm. If not, you are fine.

Do not worry, you will not have any problems at all running this for the full OCI.

Many of us have a small stash just for this reason, plus you can buy your oil when on sale.

And happy birthday
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Do not worry, you will not have any problems at all running this for the full OCI.

Many of us have a small stash just for this reason, plus you can buy your oil when on sale.

And happy birthday
smile.gif

Thanks, I'm feeling old.

I guess I'm not going to sweat it, but I just wish I could get the 5w40 easier. Ultra is supposed to be pretty good, so I don't see why it couldn't do the job.

I know you think Ultra is awesome but it is the viscosity that most are concerned with. It doesn't exactly matter which brand you use it is the viscosity/grade the oil is.

Since you are NA and not Turbo, you should be fine but idk if I would be romping on it or anything.

If you are really paranoid, drain some and add a heavy weight to raise the viscosity or drain it all and replace with the proper grade. Just keep the Ultra for use in your lawnmower or etc.....

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
I know you think Ultra is awesome but it is the viscosity that most are concerned with. It doesn't exactly matter which brand you use it is the viscosity/grade the oil is.

Since you are NA and not Turbo, you should be fine but idk if I would be romping on it or anything.

If you are really paranoid, drain some and add a heavy weight to raise the viscosity or drain it all and replace with the proper grade. Just keep the Ultra for use in your lawnmower or etc.....

I don't necessarily think Ultra is awesome. I've never used it. Viscosity was the whole reason for this post. Also, I'm not really sure how much of a difference there is between 5w30 and 5w40. I get the feeling it may be significant.

If I drain it, I'd have nowhere to put it. I'm not too hard on the vehicle.

Run it without worry.
Enjoy your massive MPG increase.
I would not run an extended OCI. Summer is coming. Visc might be there to make up for overly hot average oil temp.

Usually if you can't find 5w40, you can still find full synthetic 0w40 or 10w40. Just giving you a couple more options for the next time you have the issue.
Its rare for wallyworld, or other stores, not to have Mobil1 or RotellaT 5w40.
The other option is a quart or 2 of 5w50(Syntec), 15w50(Mobil1), or 20w50(synthetic Vtwin motorcycle oil) to spike the viscosity of the 5w30. And, don't forget thicker 30 weight oils, like Syntec 0w30 or high mileage oils from Maxlife/Mobil1 5w30's.

Spend some time reading AEHass's take on thin oil and quit worrying.

Some companies spec some weights(0w20, 0w30, 5w40, 0w40) that are only available in full synthetic to force the typical clueless consumer to use a full synthetic. Pennzoil Ultra is an excellent full synthetic oil and will serve you well.

If you went with a generic bulk mineral oil, I'd be yelling and screaming at you.

If there is any consumption over your 5k-7.5k interval, top off with the mentioned thicker oil or Lucas/HyperLube oil snot.

You could buy a cheap hand pump from an auto parts store that sucks oil up through the dipstick. Then suck a quart up and put in some Castrol 5w50 or Mobil 1 15w50 or something like that. That way you only waste a quart. Heck, don't even waste that, when you pump a quart out put it back in the bottle and save it and drop it in your next change of 5w40, which you can then just buy 5.5 quarts of.

If the oil temps don't get too high, you'll be fine.
Short light runs could actually use 5-20 with no problems [once again, conditions and temperatures have to be mild/moderate]
This is because a cool/warm 5-20 or 5-30 is THICKER than a hot 5-40.

But if it bothers you or you get it hot, dump out a few qts and replace with 20-50.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Run it without worry.
Enjoy your massive MPG increase.
I would not run an extended OCI. Summer is coming. Visc might be there to make up for overly hot average oil temp.

Usually if you can't find 5w40, you can still find full synthetic 0w40 or 10w40. Just giving you a couple more options for the next time you have the issue.
Its rare for wallyworld, or other stores, not to have Mobil1 or RotellaT 5w40.
The other option is a quart or 2 of 5w50(Syntec), 15w50(Mobil1), or 20w50(synthetic Vtwin motorcycle oil) to spike the viscosity of the 5w30. And, don't forget thicker 30 weight oils, like Syntec 0w30 or high mileage oils from Maxlife/Mobil1 5w30's.

Spend some time reading AEHass's take on thin oil and quit worrying.

Some companies spec some weights(0w20, 0w30, 5w40, 0w40) that are only available in full synthetic to force the typical clueless consumer to use a full synthetic. Pennzoil Ultra is an excellent full synthetic oil and will serve you well.

If you went with a generic bulk mineral oil, I'd be yelling and screaming at you.

If there is any consumption over your 5k-7.5k interval, top off with the mentioned thicker oil or Lucas/HyperLube oil snot.

Good points overall.

Good info everyone. Thanks. I'm just going to leave it. At least for a few months. Maybe a changeout in July. We'll see though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back