Switched oil brand and burned oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have rebuilt my 1984 rabbit diesel motor n/a. Everything is tight on this motor. I have been using Rotella Dino 15W-40 since first startup. I have changed the oil and filter at 20, 100, 300, 700, & 1000 miles. I know that my engine would consume oil since it is still breaking in. With the Rotella, at the 1500 mile mark, essentially 500 miles driven, I added about 1/2 quart of oil. At 2000 miles, I change the oil and filter, but this time used Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40. At the 400 mile mark, I checked the dipstick, the oil level was right at the add line. So I added about a 1-1.5 quarts of Mobil 15W-40 to top it off. I was amazed that my engine consumed more of the Mobil than the Rotella. I have purchase a gallon of the Chevron Delo 15W-40, to start using as a top off oil, hopefully this stuff doesn't burn. My engine doesn't smoke at all at acceleration and deceleration, unlike before I rebuilt the engine! Any recommendations?

I have an 81 n/a diesel everyday driver as well with approx 145K original miles on it and have been running castrol 5w30 slx professional and I use about a 1.5 quarts every 1100 miles. I was using Valvoline 15w40 and the consumption was about the same. I was going to run Rotella 5w40 synthetic,but I get a incredible deal on the castrol. I believe I need new valve stem seals cause it does smoke sometimes in stop and go traffic,but I am also running it on WVO. Just my .02

about 2700 miles, and I also forgot to include that the head has been completely rebuilt with new parts including valve stem seals.

Last edited:
I may be doing that next spring as I plan on driving my TDI in the spring-fall season and the rabbit in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back