Switch from MerconV to Type F to salvage a slipping trans?

For whatever reason it's not applying enough pressure "under the curve."

Can this car be tuned easily? I'd get a tune, honestly, to limp it along, that makes it shift like you're more in the gas even when you're not. If you can do it for a hundo or two.

I saved a 4T60 in a 91 cutlass ciera by getting an adjustable "red stripe" modulator vs the OE soft-shifting one. Ton of clutch debris in the pan. IMO the filter was plugged and it wasn't making enough pressure to shift properly. Also new fluid and filter, along with some cherry grenadine style transmission motor honey thickener goo.

You need higher pressures. If you have firm shifts when under hard load, then turn it for higher pressures while under less load.

Does your handheld tuner offer shift firmness adjustment?

Do you have a way of reading pressures on the tuner? Or put a gauge in the test plug and compare what the tool says pressures is to what the gauge says it is.

I agree, if the transmission has 139k on it and that's the first time the pan has been dropped, that is normal amount of wear.

Shame that it wasn't changed at 60k ...

You need higher pressures. If you have firm shifts when under hard load, then turn it for higher pressures while under less load.

Does your handheld tuner offer shift firmness adjustment?

Do you have a way of reading pressures on the tuner? Or put a gauge in the test plug and compare what the tool says pressures is to what the gauge says it is.

I agree, if the transmission has 139k on it and that's the first time the pan has been dropped, that is normal amount of wear.

Shame that it wasn't changed at 60k ...
I can increase pressures with tuner. I have them at -20% right now because I thought softening the pressure would reduce the slip. Guess I was wrong. Should I go +10% or even higher?

I’m of the same opinion.

Is there a TV cable? something that adjusts line pressure. Wonder if that is out of whack. or just a worn pump, or something else that won’t build good pressure at low engine rpm, but does ok (or good enough) with some revs.
It's electronically controlled, no tv linkage. But it may be time for a visit to a transmission shop. Maybe a solution can be obtained without a full blown rebuild.

Last edited:
I can increase pressures with tuner. I have them at -20% right now because I thought softening the pressure would reduce the slip. Guess I was wrong. Should I go +10% or even higher?

You may have caused your own problems by doing that. Your thinking is backward when you made that adjustment.

This seems like something you should have mentioned right off the bat, LOL.

Yeah, go back to stock or stronger.

Back