Suzuki Aerio 2.0L - High Mileage Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some advice and how to tame oil consumption in my 2002 Suzuki Aerio 2.0L with 153K on it. Bought it new and I've maintained it per the manual (oil, filter, brakes etc). I gave it to my daughter when we bought my wife a new car. With that it's using oil probably about a quart every 1500 miles or so. While this isn't such a big deal the problem is my nineteen year old daughter will not check the oil even though I taught her. I need this car to last another couple of years to get her through college.

Right now I've bumped up the oil to 10w-40 to see if that slows consumption. At this time I really can't tell if it does. Car does not leak and passes California smog with no issues.

Should I maybe try one of th HM oils and go back to the recommend 5w-30 oil?

Thanks in advance

I drive slower than Grandma, and whenever I notice my cars using oil it's time for an Italian tune-up. It usually slows consumption for a while.

I think the rings get carboned up and the high load, high revs and high vacuum helps free them up.

And of course...clean the PCV valve, even if it rattles.

Don't clean the PCV, replace it. Sometimes the spring fatigues, letting too much or too little gas into the intake at any moment. Hopefully you can get one from the dealer, those are the most accurate. Also be prepared to replace hoses connected to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back