Survival knife ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-found an interesting article about choosing a survival knife at the site "art of manliness" posted in 2011 and wonder what Bitogers think, choices they have made, and what they think is a good general "survival knife". Thanks in advance. Bill

Last edited:
Got a link ?

As for a knife, a USMC KA-BAR is a classic design that is well proven.

The Ontario Marine SP1 is a good modern example.

Depends on the application/intended mission, just like any other tool.

Size/weight/sheath consideration, etc.

Care to share more of your criteria?

Criteria are not well thought out by me, I saw the article, was intrigued by the items listed for choices, and thought I'd see what the Bitog posters opinions were as I'm always impressed by the experiences here. For me I'd say "general purposes" would be best, carrying on hikes, while riding horse, in car/truck, anticipation of future events. I'm old and was a boy scout as a kid in a very active troop that did alot of camping, and I never lost my fascination with equipment for that. I currently have multiple purpose tools in all my vehicles and saddle bags, I carry a "full set" of tools in my truck trying to anticipate emergencies and this would be one more tool I think would be appropriate and I'm "researching" Bitog. Bill

Also consider the Air Force Survival Knife. The good thing about this knife and the USMC KA-BAR is that they are a well proven design, and standard government issue to the military. You can pick them up at very good prices.

Sure, you may want something special, but until you know what that something special is, pick up a classic military design for a good price. With a classic military knife on your belt, then ponder how it could be refined or improved for your uses. Or just use it, as I did.

When I was in the army, some carried Bucks, some KA-BARS, some Air Force survival knives, some trench knives, some Cold Steel Tanto, some exotic this or that. It didn't make much of a difference at the end of the day. Just get a good strong fixed blade knife and carry it. Oh .. and a Leatherman / Gerber multi-tool too, carry both.

Now Crack-On with your job, as my Sergeant use to say.

I do agree with most of his points:
Single-Edged Blade with Flat Ground Spine,
Sharp Pointed Tip,
Fixed Blade,

And I do like a Full Tang, but I have used some military knives which are not full tang, yet I still find them acceptable.

Another one for you to consider, the MK3 Navy Knife, in 440A stainless steel. The USMC KA-BAR is in high carbon steel. Pros and Cons both ways, the carbon is stronger and holds a better edge, the stainless steel is more corrosive resistant.

All these military knives: USMC KA-BAR, Air Force Survival and MK3 Navy Knife should cost you well under $100- each.

You could easily spend a lot more than that on the exotic brands. Or you could buy two military knifes, one for your belt and one for your tool box / car.

I have a Gurkha style kukri. I bought it in a junk shop in the UK. I doubt its an army issue one, but I've never examined one of those closely when I've encountered Gurkha (seemed a bit intrusive, somehow) so I can't be sure. Its pretty strong but the handle isn't very comfortable.

Apparently they are made from truck springs, as are some fairly cheap local Taiwanese machete-style field knives, of which I also have a couple.

On Kinmen they sell knives that used to be, and maybe some still are, made from Peoples Liberation Army shell splinters (there were ritual artillery duels with the PRC from the late 50's to late 70's), some of which might be suitable, but they are fairly pricy these days so I havn't bothered.

Last edited:
When I was looking for a fixed blade for camping/backpacking, I didn't yet know what I needed, so i didn't want to spend too much. I looked at the ka bar Becker, which was very popular, but ended up with a Condor Tool Rodan for less than $30. It may not be the best, but it's held up to batoning in testing. I usually use my hatchet for heavier cutting, so I am glad I didn't spend too much more on the knife.

I do carry a decent folding knife everywhere I go though, that knife I use all the time (fighting Amazon boxes).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CBWQ0C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Surviving in Borneo takes something closer to a machete where surviving whilst locked into a vegetable warehouse would warrant a potato peeler.

Spec the tool for the job because one size never fits anything.

Watch Rambo. He had it figured out.

Rambo-2-Knife-Sylvester-Stallone-Action-Movie.jpg

I have no interest in fixed blade knives, but from the testing I've seen Mora is one of the best bang-for-your-buck brands. The "Robust" series are incredibly tough.

All of the above are good choices and I have a few of the brands/models mentioned above. As is the case for many things in life, it comes down to personal choice. I'll toss in another EXCELLENT choice (I own a couple) for a survival type knife: ESEE Knives . (link is safe - it is to BladeHQ.com).
For those who want to keep the cost on the cheaper and smaller side, Mora Knives are very highly regarded (though they are not very suitable for batoning word and they do not have a full tang).
On the more-premium side, Bark River knives hard to beat.

maybe old school, but my favorite, and what I carry when hunting/fishing/etc. Is the Buck Classic 102. Beautiful and very functional.

Below are a couple of highly regarded 'survival' type of knives. Pic is a few years old. They company name used to be RAT (Randal's Adventure and Training)but are not called ESEE (Escuela de Supervivencia (School of Survival), Escape and Evasion (ESEE). ) They only drawback to some is that they are made of 1095 carbon steel (thus the blade coating to protect against corrosion). But, to many, CS is an advantage in that it is a very tough steel that is not likely to chip very easily.

I must apologize...I posted the wrong knife. Actually I carry a Buck 119. I got to looking at the picture I posted and realized it wasn't quite right.

Buck 119

I have a buck 4" hunter/skinner type knife that seems to be pretty good for almost anything except filleting, or if you need a longer knife. I guess I take it and a fillet knife if I was planning on "surviving" somewhere and processing animals to eat. Those two knives have fit a few critters into the freezer anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back