Surf City Garage products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received some Dash Away & Black Max Vinyl, Rubber and Trim dressing for Father's Day. So far, I'm impressed with both products. Of course I can't vouch for the products longevity.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thank you! I cant claim to know enough of how much is the acceptable amount to harm/be of no effect to leather, but that stinks. Wish they would truly make it a pure product, sheen/shine aside. Im sure it would be great then...

It's minuscule...
smile.gif

"I talked to our chemist and he said that there are very trace amounts of this chemical in the product in order to provide a low sheen. Nothing to the amount that will cause damage like the silicone contents that you see in some of the protectants out there."

No worries, it's better than other stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

I like how they recently offered to sent some free Barrier Reef liquid wax after completing a brief survey. I haven't used it yet but it does smell nice. As mentioned I think the SC Dash Away is a very good interior detailer and protectant.

I like the Grime Destroyer as a good pre-wash before a wax. But the gel shoots out in a stream versus a spray which makes you use a lot of product. I've read some detailers dilute it down and use a sprayer.

A top notch detailer introduced me to the brand years ago. He likes their detailers and spray waxes as well. Along with Clearly Better glass cleaner since it doesn't streak esp when using in the sun. A local auto paint supply store started carrying their line years ago so I picked up some products since I could avoid shipping fees.

^ I dilute Grime Destroyer down quite a bit -- with a sprayer. It's just as effective, and much easier to spray. Otherwise, it does spray in a very thick stream.

I just bought some of the Barrier Reef paste wax that was on clearance at Walmart for $8.00 but haven't tried it yet. I figured for the price I couldn't lose and I wanted to try it anyway.

Wayne

Hmmmm, I think I'll try their tire dressing now. It's hard to find one that doesn't look too drippy.

Is their interior dash spray pretty low sheen? I've been using Lexol Vinylex and it lasts a long time but is wayyyyy too shiny.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Hmmmm, I think I'll try their tire dressing now. It's hard to find one that doesn't look too drippy.

Is their interior dash spray pretty low sheen? I've been using Lexol Vinylex and it lasts a long time but is wayyyyy too shiny.

I always use leather conditioner on my entire interior. Looks awesome,does't have that *cheap fake shine" look,and makes your interior smell great!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

I always use leather conditioner on my entire interior. Looks awesome,does't have that *cheap fake shine" look,and makes your interior smell great!

From the good reviews in this thread, I bought the Beyond Black tire dressing and really like it. I used it on my tires and radiator hoses and they look great now! Just the right amount of shine and they are still shining a week later.

You can use the leather conditioner all over the plastic dash and trim too? Do you have any pics of a dash freshly shined with it? I am almost out of 303 and am not sure If I will buy more. Surf city leather conditioner might be my next dash and leather treatment if it really does both.

Here`s some interior pics with everything detailed with Armor All Leather Care. I love the way it gives everything a natural shine without making it look overly shiny and glossy,and it makes it all smell leathery:

v8pwlh.jpg

5zjt5g.jpg

24exenm.jpg

I have not tried all the SCG products I've seen on the shelves of the local parts houses, but I am always interested in them when I walk through that section, and so I constantly look for them on sale or in the clearance section so I can give them a try and save a couple of bucks in the process.

My reluctance to try the SCG stuff has nothing to do with my perception of their quality, and everything to do with their price point - it's usually just a little higher than what I am willing to pay for a product I have never used before.

But I have been able to give a few of their products a "day in court" over the last couple of years, so I'll share my impressions on their performance in my particular usages. Hopefully this can be of use to anyone whose on the fence about trying some of their stuff and still hasn't decided to yet (and is willing to be swayed by the likes of me), because I believe they have some good quality products available - better than a lot of the other OTC stuff I see people swearing by usually:

Barrier Reef Carnauba Paste Wax - This is a very good product, I love using it!

In fact, it is now my go-to wax when I am planning on using a straight carnauba wax. Which admittedly isn't the majority of the time, as I will usually opt for a synthetic wax/paint sealant just because of the durability. However, there are scenarios for which a good quality carnauba wax is the better option, and in those scenarios I use this stuff.

The main thing that puts this one above all the other carnaubas on my list isn't necessarily the outcome of the waxing, but it's the experience of using the wax. Don't get me wrong, this is a good quality product IMO, but there are others of the same ilk that are just as good.

But none of those others, that I have used, are as much of a joy to work with than Barrier Reef Paste. It goes on easy, comes off easy, and smells great...what more could you ask for?

NOTE: I have not used the liquid version of this wax yet, but I plan on doing so as soon as I can.

Barrier Reef Carnauba Spray Wax - Very good carnauba spray wax...almost too good!

I don't usually use spray waxes when I do other people's cars since it won't last very long, but I do use them on my car as maintenance waxes in between the regular stuff. But this isn't that type of spray wax...meaning, that's not the best way to use this product. That would be overkill IMO; use one of the other spray waxes to do the post-car-wash applications, e.g. Lucas, Megs, Mothers, etc. Use this stuff when you need a real wax application but don't have the time/ability to do one.

What I found to be the best scenario for using this stuff was when I had to do correction or polish on a panel (thus removing the existing wax), and I could not reapply the same kind of existing wax to protect the paint for whatever reason. Since this stuff is so thick, it's a very good medium between the Barrier Reef paste/liquid and the other OTC watered-down spray waxes usually used for a quick shine.

If I knew I would not be able to wax a freshly corrected panel for a while (several days, couple weeks, and even up to a month if necessary), I would apply this stuff to make sure the paint is protected until I can get it protected with the stuff I originally stripped off.

Road Trip Grime Destroyer - This is some serious stuff!

As others have said, it's viscosity limits the spray bottle's ability to effectively apply the product when aiming for a large area, e.g. bug removal from a front bumper. But something like that is a waste of this stuff's potential! If you want to get rid of the bugs on your car, get some Stoner Tarminator (great stuff!).

But, if you want to make quick work of the 3 coats of Plasti-Dip you just sprayed on your buddy's rims only to have him decide he wanted to go back to original, THAT's when you grab this stuff.

I also found out it is the only product in the world that can remove 2 years worth of dried fish sticks drippings from the bottom of a toaster oven drip pan. Seriously!! I tried every cleaner and scrubber you can think of on that drip pan, and that fish stick gunk just shrugged them all off. Not Grime Destroyer!!

Sure, you could use this stuff for the ordinary things like bug and tar, road grime, and such, but that's like chasing a squirrel with a deer rifle! Save this stuff for the REALLY tough jobs!

In all honestly though, the previous poster's advice about diluting it to make it easy to spray is genius. I wish I had thought of that back when I still had a full bottle.

Beyond Black Tire Dressing (aerosol) - Best shade of black on a tire!

I am very picky about tire dressings; I think the majority of them leave the tire too shiny and wet looking. Yes, I realize that's their expressed intention, and that's great they succeed, but I don't personally like that look on my car and won't do it to a "client's" car unless expressly asked to.

And there are some products that are too far in the other direction as well (though much fewer!). If the tire barely looks like anything was applied at all after I am done, then that's not a tire dressing I will use again.

This stuff get's it exactly right IMO.

Now, I do want to point out I am talking about the product in the aerosol can, not the product in the spray bottle. I do not know if they differ at all, but their labels aren't exactly the same, and thus I never strayed from the aerosol after finding out it was the one for me.

Beyond Steel Wheel & Tire Cleaner - Solid W&T cleaner; will definitely buy again.

I am also very particular about the W&T cleaners I use (pattern?), and I have tried dozens of them over the years in an effort to find the goods ones (because it seems the majority out there are NOT very good). I only recently had the opportunity to give this stuff a try, and have only been able to use it about 3 times total since having it. It's not the best I have ever used at getting extremely dirty wheels clean, but it is very good.

What really impressed me about this stuff was its ability to clean the plastic wheel wells around the tires & rims with minimal scrubbing and reapplication. Nothing bothers me more than to have a freshly cleaned vehicle with dirty, gray-ish wheel wells. It just defeats all the other work put in to make it look better.

So whether on my car or my "client's", I always clean the wheel wells as part of the process. On my car, that's no biggie since I regularly do it, but on someone's vehicle who hasn't had them cleaned since it was new, well they can be real pain!

Unfortunately, most W&T cleaners that are good at cleaning the W&Ts are not good at cleaning the wheel wells. Or if they are good at cleaning the wheel wells, they are only so-so at cleaning the W&Ts...that's been my experience anyway.

This stuff is not the best at either, but it is very good at both. I will be purchasing this again when the current bottle runs out.

Beyond Clay Paint Polish - Very displeased initially; now I won't do paint correction without it!

When I first tried this polish, I was very disappointed with its performance. It did not do much at all in the way of polishing the paint, much less live up to the claims on its label.

Two things on that: 1) I was not using it correctly, and thus should have expected the results it gave me. 2) I think they should modify its label to paint a different picture about what it can do and cannot do.

In my experience, it will not replace a clay bar, not by a long shot. So that should be removed from the label's description I think. But what it will do, and what is not even mentioned on the label, is remove swirls, paint over-spray, and clear-coat blemishes.

Basically, it is SCG's version of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I love UC, and I could not do half the stuff I do for people without it. And now I have another, similar weapon to throw at neglected cars when I am running low on UC or presented with a situation where the UC is not getting it done.

Okay, I guess I'd better cut this post off there. It's already approaching e-novel length, and I'm not getting paid for any of this, so I need to go do something productive.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I like how they recently offered to sent some free Barrier Reef liquid wax after completing a brief survey. I haven't used it yet but it does smell nice. As mentioned I think the SC Dash Away is a very good interior detailer and protectant.

I like the Grime Destroyer as a good pre-wash before a wax. But the gel shoots out in a stream versus a spray which makes you use a lot of product. I've read some detailers dilute it down and use a sprayer.

A top notch detailer introduced me to the brand years ago. He likes their detailers and spray waxes as well. Along with Clearly Better glass cleaner since it doesn't streak esp when using in the sun. A local auto paint supply store started carrying their line years ago so I picked up some products since I could avoid shipping fees.

I was able to get one of those free samples. I used it on the headlights as I wax them after every wash, it went on easy, came off a little harder than usual, and left a lackluster shine. Not sure how it will behave on the painted surfaces though.

I have the Surf City Carnuba Wax that I got for free from someone posting on here last year about filling out a survey. I think it applies easy & comes off easy. Typical liquid wax, as for its durability --- time will only tell. Have it on my Camry, makes it shine really nice but then again --- it has shined since day one. Washing & waxing is a must for my fleet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back