SureStop Brake Pads from Carparts

I could not find any feedback on this forum about these brakes. . They do sell some on Amazon with few reviews but the reviews that are there are mostly positive.. They look to be the house brand from Carparts.com which sells many brands and the reviews there are mostly very positive and they do not look like manufactured reviews IMO. Of course they could just be removing the very critical which is why I thought I would ask on this forum.

I notice they are friction rated at GG and they are Ceramic . They are also the best deal I have seen for a GG pad anywhere, but maybe that rating is not even authentic. The company Carparts has been around a long time according to the company info page.

Here is the site and pads : https://www.carparts.com/brake-pad-set

Anybody here use these ?

It is very unlikely that generic ceramic pads achieve a GG rating. Even Akebono's "Ultra Premium" ceramic is an FF pad. Sadly, these are more likely to be closer to EE rated if tested objectively. But as they say, "Ya never know" when it comes to such things. Maybe they have some magic, high friction, zero dust, low wear, formulation that nobody else uses...

I'm one of those drivers that heavily taxes brake pads. From my track days, and towing days, to today's "drive like you stole it" days. I can't stand most ceramic pads. The day I blew through the intersection while towing the incredibly heavy load of 2 SeaDoo's set me straight on "dust free" (and friction free) ceramic pads. Never again unless it's an OEM pad I'm satisfied with. NOTE: When OEM's use ceramic pads, they always increase brake rotor and caliper size to compensate.

Another note: My fav pad is the Carbotech XP8 (and while not rated would be HH due to high friction). They work wonderfully for me, on the street, despite the significant dust and squeaks. My next favorite street pad is the Hawk HPS semi metallic (not sure of the rating, but probably a true GF rating). Good enough for towing, outrunning the carjackers, and light track use, without breaking the bank or fading into uselessness. In fact, the Hawk pads worked well for me at Homestead, slowing from 140+MPH to about 30 until they melted, they are pretty tough and never faded into uselessness.

Last edited:
dot_edge_codes-png.294889

The higher the letter code doesn't necessarily mean it's a "better" pad. I don't know nor care what friction code any pads I've bought are, I buy based on the manufacturer (brand).

It is very unlikely that generic ceramic pads achieve a GG rating. Even Akebono's "Ultra Premium" ceramic is an FF pad. Sadly, these are more likely to be closer to EE rated if tested objectively. But as they say, "Ya never know" when it comes to such things. Maybe they have some magic, high friction, zero dust, low wear, formulation that nobody else uses...

I'm one of those drivers that heavily taxes brake pads. From my track days, and towing days, to today's "drive like you stole it" days. I can't stand most ceramic pads. The day I blew through the intersection while towing the incredibly heavy load of 2 SeaDoo's set me straight on "dust free" (and friction free) ceramic pads. Never again unless it's an OEM pad I'm satisfied with. NOTE: When OEM's use ceramic pads, they always increase brake rotor and caliper size to compensate.

Another note: My fav pad is the Carbotech XP8 (and while not rated would be HH due to high friction). They work wonderfully for me, on the street, despite the significant dust and squeaks. My next favorite street pad is the Hawk HPS semi metallic (not sure of the rating, but probably a true GF rating). Good enough for towing, outrunning the carjackers, and light track use, without breaking the bank or fading into uselessness. In fact, the Hawk pads worked well for me at Homestead, slowing from 140+MPH to about 30 until they melted, they are pretty tough and never faded into uselessness.
I will say that I have used numerous "GG" pads that have inferior pedal feel and braking performance to the OE FF-rated pads.

Using the friction ratings to judge brake pads is equivalent to using the UTQG traction/temp grades to buy tires. Not all "A" rated tires will be perform the same.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

The problem with those parts store pads is that you don't know who makes them, and this is without regard to friction rating.

There are GG-rated ceramic pads from reputable brands, including Akebono's Euro pads and their performance pads (part numbers starting with ASP)

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

The problem with those parts store pads is that you don't know who makes them, and this is without regard to friction rating.

There are GG-rated ceramic pads from reputable brands, including Akebono's Euro pads and their performance pads (part numbers starting with ASP)

Yep I hear you .. I just figured SOMEBODY probably tried them..

The last really good trackpads I used were EE.
Akebono Euro pads are GG, and absolute garbage from a performance standpoint.
ATE GG semi-metallic I now have superb performance.
On Toyota Sienna last pads I put were Pagid FE, which are leaps and bound better than OE Toyota GG pads (Made by Akebono or Advics).

Acura TSX 2nd gen.. definitely not an extreme speed racer but also not a slow car and definitely not a light car . . OE is the regular akebono proact from what I have read and I would like more bite.

Get the Akebono performance pads :)

Another good choice is EBC Ultimax2

Back