Supertech synthetic gear oil

I’m sure it’s fine I believe it’s made by Warren which has good products. I haven’t ever used it but I don’t see what could be wrong with it being made by a reputable company.

I’d have no hesitance using it, in fact I have.

My preference would be Amsoil SVG for a keeper car, but in some circumstances, including trying to get an old, dirty diff cleaned out, the WM stuff is probably good enough. Differentials aren’t engines. They don’t have the same hard conditions. They can get wet, they can suspend lots of junk in the oil, etc... but differentials aren’t as much of a failure or longevity concern as some other parts of a vehicle...

I’d have no hesitance using it, in fact I have.

My preference would be Amsoil SVG for a keeper car, but in some circumstances, including trying to get an old, dirty diff cleaned out, the WM stuff is probably good enough. Differentials aren’t engines. They don’t have the same hard conditions. They can get wet, they can suspend lots of junk in the oil, etc... but differentials aren’t as much of a failure or longevity concern as some other parts of a vehicle...
Actually the differential is very highly stressed lube is very important.

Actually the differential is very highly stressed lube is very important.

I didn’t say it wasn’t important... and for any “highly stressed” diff, note my recommendation of SVG.

Reality is that diffs last a long time, and are fairly bulletproof unless mistreated. Ive had many go well over 200k, and one working towards 500k...

What there isn’t is fuel dilution, combustion byproducts, high levels of friction and clutch wear material, etc. It’s a pretty simple machine in and of itself.

One of the biggest enemies of differentials here in La. is water. 9 out of 10 Cajuns owns a boat. When they launch that boat (mostly salt water) the differential gets submerged in water. Then, their differential is churning up a gear oil milkshake. By the time they geaux to change the gear oil it's too late. The damage is done. Believe me, I have seen A LOT of truck differentials/gears in the local bone yards from ruined gears.

About 2 years ago I changed my differential fluid and used ST synthetic 75w-90. I am coming up on 30k miles since that change. Wondering if anyone can comment on if this is a "good" gear oil or not.
No problem using ST gear oil. Unless you have used the vehicle severely, 30k miles is nothing and you can go much further with your present fill.

I have it in the transaxle and rear differential in my Subaru and in both differentials in my pickup and Jeep. Can't hurt to change it, but gear oil is always ignored.

IMO Supertech synthetic 75w-90 is the best deal going in gear oil. I have it in several things. For whatever reason the 75w-140 is more expensive and when I was at walmart it was less than $1 per qt less than the valvoline full synthetic so I went for the name brand in that grade.

I use ST 75/90 in everything gear oil Toyotas, ATV's even lower unit of my outboard...seems I paid about half the name brand price, bought a stash.

One of the biggest enemies of differentials here in La. is water. 9 out of 10 Cajuns owns a boat. When they launch that boat (mostly salt water) the differential gets submerged in water. Then, their differential is churning up a gear oil milkshake. By the time they geaux to change the gear oil it's too late. The damage is done. Believe me, I have seen A LOT of truck differentials/gears in the local bone yards from ruined gears.
Even on a small boat … I like a longer trailer so that does not happen
7B8F79F6-A0B8-49FE-8A0A-DB897ADC7C1C.jpeg
59671D60-8D3F-455C-8329-0C54485E0FAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Back