SuperTech ST-2 in place of MC 820-S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
With the motorcraft filter no longer being carried in WallyWorld, I'm looking for a possible replacement.

2002 Ford Explorer with the 4.6 V8
6 quarts Mobil 7500
SuperTech ST-2 filter

Comments/Suggestions?
smile.gif

I make no bones about the fact when it comes to the 820s filter I am biased...find someplace else that sells the 820s filter before you use the ST2.
tongue.gif
Another auto store, your Ford dealer, ebay...anywhere. The last time I bought one at my dealer, it was only $3.44. My local O'Reilly's charges $3.99.

Seriously, the 820s has a silicone ADBV, the better designed Ford-style bypass valve and the serrated end on the outside of the canister that is easier to add and remove a cap tool when installing...none of which the ST-2 has. This is one eom filter that I think is worth sticking with, but that's just me.
smile.gif

I have the same question. I also have an explorer that I am looking for a filter for now that Wal-mart no longer carrys MC. The only other local parts store for me is Pepboys and an 820s is $4.99 there. I thought I was just going to switch to Purolater PremiumPlus but that is $4.50(don't know where everyone on here gets them for $2.99). At these prices I can get 2 Supertechs which seemed to be a decent filter in the Oil Filter test at the top of this forum. My plan is to start using a 5000-6000 OCI, so my questions are 1) Can the Supertech perform for 6000 miles, 2) Is it still worth the higher price of a MC or Purolater if I want to go with extended OCIs? Also my other reasoning for a Supertech is that if I want to a 6000 OCI, I can by 2 Supertechs for less then the MC and Purolater and just change it at 3000. Would this be the best way to go? Yes, the Bypass on the baseplate of the MC is real nice, but the ST seems to flow pretty well so hopefully it is not in bypass mode to often and the anti-drainback valve does matter too much for me because the filter is mounted almost upright. thanks for the help

[ February 26, 2005, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: SR77 ]

Just a question like..
wink.gif

Have you ever thought of phoning Motocraft or emailing them to find out which aftermarket parts stores in your area sell their filters?

Motocraft is a seperate division within Ford. They market their products seperate from dealerships but have the authority to use the Ford logo and trademark.

And btw..the Motocraft filter is different than the Ford engine OEM filter. Different specs..
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JMK3rd:
Hi,
With the motorcraft filter no longer being carried in WallyWorld, I'm looking for a possible replacement.

2002 Ford Explorer with the 4.6 V8
6 quarts Mobil 7500
SuperTech ST-2 filter

Comments/Suggestions?
smile.gif

The Advance Auto on Rt.206 near the Walmart has the Motorcraft FL820S for $3.98. Or they did about a month or so ago. Ironically the Motorcraft is less expensive than the PurOne there. There's nothing wrong with the SuperTech but for me I'd spend the extra $2 and get the Motorcraft. But then again I'm doing 8-10,000 mile OCi's on the wifes 2002 Explorer. She has the 4.0 V-6.

Whimsey(fellow Spartan
wink.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
...But then again I'm doing 8-10,000 mile OCi's on the wifes 2002 Explorer. She has the 4.0 V-6.

Whimsey(fellow Spartan
wink.gif
)

Small world...
smile.gif

I've been using MC 5W-20 along with the MC 820-S at 5,000 mile OCI's. Now that the Explorer has 50,000 miles (and is out of warranty), I'm looking for better (if possible) alternatives.

Considering the advice given here and the fact that I can get the MC 820-S filter for under 4 bucks, I think I'll stick with it since the 820-S has the silicone ADBV. None of the others have it as far as I can tell (I've been researching this for a few hours now...my head hurts).
I'm looking to go with the new Mobil 7500 for an OCI of 7500 miles. I will be a bit longer between changes but it looks like this oil will more than make up for it. Seems like a good deal all around.

Now....how to change the "information center" oil change reminder from the current 5K limit.
smile.gif

[ February 26, 2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: JMK3rd ]

Sounds like a good plan. I'd trust the Motorcraaft filter to hold up easily for 7,500 miles with the silicone ADBV. I think you may be pushing the rubber ADBV in the Supertech over 5,000 mile OCI's. These 4.6's need to get oil to the head as soon as possible.

offtopic.gif
What's this "fancy smancy" "information center" on your Explorer. My "information center" is a pad, a pencil and the odometer
grin.gif

Whimsey

You didn't say how long you planned on using it. If it were longer then 4-5000 miles or your engine tends to run hotter, then I'd suggest sticking with a filter that has a silicone ADBV.

-T

I am willing to pay a little more for an OEM over other filters. My experience and what I have seen here show them to be better filters than the well regarded Hastings and Purolator. In PF 1177 equivalents everything fell short of the real AC, most little better than the cheap ST 3950's, and of course, Fram a poor last. Other peo-ple found other numbers different. If you can't find data on them, I would chop a few of you own number apart before settling on a filter.

There is a lot of moaning and groaning over the new E-Core construction. The plastic center tube is the same as the cartridge filters have used for several years now, each easily inspected when removed, and no failures reported. The felt end caps do not have such a proven history. In the picture posted here today the ST 3600 looked to me like it had a generous amount of filter area, well spaced except for the few at the seam as is common. We are going to have to accept either new construction, or ever increasing filter prices. How much extra are metal end caps worth? do they make a better filter? I would rather my money goes into filter media.

I can see paying twice as much for an OEM that is significantly better than an ST, but not a Purolator that doesn't have much more filter area.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
I am willing to pay a little more for an OEM over other filters. My experience and what I have seen here show them to be better filters than the well regarded Hastings and Purolator. In PF 1177 equivalents everything fell short of the real AC, most little better than the cheap ST 3950's, and of course, Fram a poor last. Other peo-ple found other numbers different. If you can't find data on them, I would chop a few of you own number apart before settling on a filter.

There is a lot of moaning and groaning over the new E-Core construction. The plastic center tube is the same as the cartridge filters have used for several years now, each easily inspected when removed, and no failures reported. The felt end caps do not have such a proven history. In the picture posted here today the ST 3600 looked to me like it had a generous amount of filter area, well spaced except for the few at the seam as is common. We are going to have to accept either new construction, or ever increasing filter prices. How much extra are metal end caps worth? do they make a better filter? I would rather my money goes into filter media.

I can see paying twice as much for an OEM that is significantly better than an ST, but not a Purolator that doesn't have much more filter area.

The trouble with the Ford filters is that the OE fitment is a Champion Labs filter, but the aftermarket Motorcraft is a modified Purolator. As far as I know, there's no way to buy the factory filter.

I'd still buy the aftermarket Motorcraft over an ST though. It has the bypass in the preferred position and just seems to be better quality than the ST for about an extra dollar.

Wally World may have dropped Motorcraft but Advance Auto and Autozone still carry them. In the grand sceme buying a filter for $3.69 instead of $2.77 isn't going to matter to me...

The E-cores constuction may seem similar to Fram, but the quality is 10 times better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back