Supertech/ Champ micron rating

I called Champ filters today because I'm thinking about running ST3614 filters on my outdoor power equipment. I bought one for my 2.0 Ecoboost but can't bring myself to use it.. I just feel like it needs a better quality filter. Anyways, I found that almost all of my stuff uses the same gasket diameter and 3/4-16 thread pattern. The only difference is filter height on my machines. I called and asked 1. If the Champ PH2835 and ST3416 are the same and 2. What is the micron rating of the filter. The tech line told me that they are the same filter and that the micron rating is 90% at 20 microns. I thought that was pretty darn good for a $2.97 filter. Any other reason I'm not thinking about not to use on multiple outdoor equipment?

There is more to filters than the gasket diameter and thread pattern. Some will have different pressure bypass ratings. That said if you just run a normal (3-6k) oci I'd wager the only difference you'll notice between the ST and say a Fram Ultra in real world use is that you spent $6 less on the ST.

Having said that I have Fram Ultra's on several vehicles (including my lawn mower) as it gives me that 'warm fuzzy' feeling. I only run it around 60hrs a year and will leave the filter on there for a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
This is any being used on outdoor power equipment so no 3k-6k intervals Thinking 50-100 hour max. the bypass on all of my application is 8 psi with those filters meet.

People on this forum love the ultra, and its a darn good filter. For 8.99 or higher, I cant see myself running it unless I wanted to keep it on for multiple OCI. 90% at 20 microns sounds in line with what is labeled on the box 99% at 30 microns. These filters are similar to ACdelco oem filters. If its good enough for my car its good enough for your equipment.

I called Champ filters today because I'm thinking about running ST3614 filters on my outdoor power equipment. I bought one for my 2.0 Ecoboost but can't bring myself to use it.. I just feel like it needs a better quality filter. Anyways, I found that almost all of my stuff uses the same gasket diameter and 3/4-16 thread pattern. The only difference is filter height on my machines. I called and asked 1. If the Champ PH2835 and ST3416 are the same and 2. What is the micron rating of the filter. The tech line told me that they are the same filter and that the micron rating is 90% at 20 microns. I thought that was pretty darn good for a $2.97 filter. Any other reason I'm not thinking about not to use on multiple outdoor equipment?

I ran the Champ PH2835 on a Fusion 2.5 for 12 (5k) oil changes ( I bought a case from RA ). I cut 2 or 3 open, and they all looked great. IDK if or what the difference is in the AC Delco E-core version equivalent, but it's probably the exact same filter as the PH2835/ST3614 and they are OEM on GM. The ST is marketed as 99% efficency @ 30 microns and up to 10K oil change intervals. Interesting that Champ doesn't advertise that even tho they said it's the same filter. I am about to place another RA order and was going to order another dozen 2835 for my 2.0 EcoBoost but, in all honesty, after seeing the post of the Mazda 6 engine failing due to a Fram ADBV getting sucked into the engine, I am weary about running anything other than a MC 910s until my warranty is up, they are only $1 more, so very cheap insurance for any potential warranty issues. I know that Mazda failure example is likely one in a million and probably was from a damaged filter that should have never been installed, but..... Dang internet!! On a vehicle that is out of warranty, I'd run them again in a second for sure, just not on something with a horizontal or base plate down mount that should have a silicon drain back valve.

Last edited:
I ran the Champ PH2835 on a Fusion 2.5 for 12 (5k) oil changes ( I bought a case from RA ). I cut 2 or 3 open, and they all looked great. IDK if or what the difference is in the AC Delco E-core version equivalent, but it's probably the exact same filter as the PH2835/ST3614 and they are OEM on GM. The ST is marketed as 99% efficency @ 30 microns and up to 10K oil change intervals. Interesting that Champ doesn't advertise that even tho they said it's the same filter. I am about to place another RA order and was going to order another dozen 2835 for my 2.0 EcoBoost but, in all honesty, after seeing the post of the Mazda 6 engine failing due to a Fram ADBV getting sucked into the engine, I am weary about running anything other than a MC 910s until my warranty is up, they are only $1 more, so very cheap insurance for any potential warranty issues. I know that Mazda failure example is likely one in a million and probably was from a damaged filter that should have never been installed, but..... Dang internet!! On a vehicle that is out of warranty, I'd run them again in a second for sure, just not on something with a horizontal or base plate down mount that should have a silicon drain back valve.
Are you also afraid of getting hit by lightning? If you're that afraid have Ford change the oil with a coupon or something. I think @ZeeOSix said in another thread...you have the same likelihood of this happening with any brand. With that being said I was under the car yesterday doing my ATF fluid change, and the ST9688 looked good after 1.5k, no leaks or anything.

For me, the lack of a silicone ADBV keeps me away from Supertech/Champ and Purolator Red's. I'd rather take an OCOD(elight) or Motorcraft.

For $1 more, moving to a Fram PH3614 Extra Guard from a Supertech/Champ will get you 95% efficiency at 20 microns and an upgrade to a silicone ADBV for the controversial fiber endcaps.

Or, a Motorcraft FL-910s, which is 94% at 20, silicone ADBV, and metal endcaps, which would be my choice.

Also, you could also upsize to a Fram PH3600/Motorcraft FL-400s if space permits (bypass specs are identical)

Are you also afraid of getting hit by lightning? If you're that afraid have Ford change the oil with a coupon or something. I think @ZeeOSix said in another thread...you have the same likelihood of this happening with any brand. With that being said I was under the car yesterday doing my ATF fluid change, and the ST9688 looked good after 1.5k, no leaks or anything.
No I am not afraid of getting hit by lightning, but if I did, and it was preventable, I'd probably be mad at myself for letting it happen. The reality is I can buy a filter for $3.98 that my vehicle manufacturer warranties. It's readily available and is a good quality filter also. It's just not worth the $1 "savings" for the ST ( I really like Champ products!!) to buy it at this point. I paid $40k for a vehicle, I should be able to afford that extra $1 for piece of mind is all I'm saying. I think Champs are a good filter. I run the PH2876 (6607) exclusively on a 1.8L Nissan and will until that car is no longer titled in my name. Just personal preference and trying to "make sense" I recon.

I would use a Fram Extra Guard for $3.97 and get 95% efficiency @ 20 microns for your OPE.

Back