Supersyn Bottle Label Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well raided Wallmart for their 5 quart jugs of M1 SS 10W-30 for $17.88 yesterday
lol.gif
and got home and was comparing the labels of 5w-30 and 10W-30 and I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Both pretty much say the same thing but I was suprised that both say pours at -49 degrees and that the 10W-30 bottle said this... Excellent cleanliness and wear protection in high temperature/ hot running engines even at longer drain intervals!! The 5W-30 label said the same thing but stopped at hot running engines. Is Mobil 1 kinda sorta vaguely saying their oil can go for extended drains again
grin.gif
Both were bottles Supersyn. Has anyone else noticed that?

Interesting, I did the same thing today.

I didn't purchase any 5W30 but I did purchase the 10W30 and a quart of 15W50 for the tractor.
I wish they would sell the 15W50 in the 5 qt. jugs as well, but haven't seen it anywhere.

They sell the 15w50 up here in 5L jugs, but we still only have TriSynthetic. Actually, in the 15w50, a lot of stores still have old "Advanced Formula" stock!! They don't sell a lot of 15w50 in Canada.

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
Is Mobil 1 kinda sorta vaguely saying their oil can go for extended drains again
grin.gif
Both were bottles Supersyn. Has anyone else noticed that?

After reading some info about API SL (Thanks, Patman
smile.gif
), the new standard is geared towards long drain interval. How much longer past 3000mi/5000km is anybody's guess.

Regards,

Oz

Well, tecnically they never stopped being a good extended drain oil, they just stopped marketing it as such. With the current crop of vehicles with recommended intervals that exceed most people's ideas of extended, they are starting to market it as such again, just a little.

quote:

How often should I change the oil when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™?

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. We recommend that you follow the oil and filter change frequencies shown in your owner's manual, especially during the warranty period. With Mobil 1's high-performance reserves, you can have the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil-monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

I currently go longer between oil changes than the manufacturer's recommendation, and my car is out of warranty. Is this okay if I am using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™?

While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, we prefer to remain conservative with our oil drain recommendations. We recommend that you can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to cover unusual or unexpected driving conditions.

[ September 06, 2002, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

I have seen the 15w50 Mobil1 5 qt jugs, but there is never as many as the 10w30 and they seem to go pretty quick around here.

I don't really care anymore as I've found a Wal Mart that sells all M1 products they carry (all but the 0w40) for $3.78 a quart. There is also a Super Target that sells them for $3.99 a quart in case the Wal Mart is out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back