Super Winter and my Short Trip Armada

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 13 Armada with a 5.6 Liter V8 that has a 7 Quart sump. My wife works half a city block away from our house. It gets really warmed up once a week maybe when we do errands on the weekends. I work from home and don't go out much. We are in serious severe duty territory. Nissan says 3 Months or 3750 Miles for severe duty.

I noticed before we left for a trip to Disney that the inside of the oil filler cap and the threads on the filler pipe had this milky tan goop in them. I wiped them out with a paper towel, then we drove from Indy to Orlando straight. The mada sat for a week, then it drove straight home. In that timeframe, I have put almost 3200 miles on it and we are still under the three months. No goop when we got home. I figured that might get me out of the severe duty category for this OCI.

We have been seriously cold here for a few weeks now and it is getting worse next week. Tonight I opened up the cap again and there was the same goop in the cap, in the threads and running down the inside of the fill tube. I had the mada out for 1 to 1.5 hours today in the mid teens teaching my son to drive and driving around before I checked the cap tonight and cleaned it out tonight. The dipstick looked good (not milky tan - white. It looked like slightly used oil)

I am thinking two things:
1 - It is condensation mixed with oil rising up the filler tube and condensing at the top and sliding down as it builds. But it doesn't go all the way to the bottom where the engine is hot so don't sweat it. Once it gets neat the hot valve cover, it melts back in and all is well.
2 - The engine is clearly not getting warm enough and this garbage is all through the engine. Change the oil now!

It has had 3 - 4 weeks of running back in severe duty territory since we have been back which means getting really warmed up on the weekends. The mada does stay in a garage that is not heated, but is attached to my house so it is a good deal warmer than outside since I am sure I am bleeding heat in to the garage from the house. And the mada has a oil cooler (warmer) that is attached to a donut adapter at the oil filter that runs the oil over a water jacket. I am assuming that it is meant to keep the oil at coolant temp for towing, but it also might keep it warm in the colder months.

Honestly, I'd rather wait until spring to change it again since its been friggin cold. But I don't mind changing it with oil from my stash if need be.

It is running Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 and a Fram Ultra Syn filter.

Should I dump it, or should I keep it in the engine since it had a good warm run to Florida and back? Meaning when it got home from that run was the start of the 3 month / 3750 mile OCI since it is Ultra and got all kinds of warm.

(Honestly, my heart is screaming to change it since I have lots of oil in the stash. My brain is saying that the oil still looks great from the dipstick, the goop stops two inches from the valve cover, it's Pennzoil Ultra and its way colder than I want it to be to do an change)

From here on out just stick with the severe duty schedule. That is quite a nice ride you have, no need to stretch the OCI to save a few bucks.

I love our Armada. It's a Platinum and thanks to several deals I was able to wiggle out, we could afford it. It's a great vehicle, and I want it to be at least a better long term work horse compared to our Odyssey. That's a tall order. Our 05 Ody has been the best vehicle I have ever owned...hands down. (And I have owned a few) That is why I am asking the question. My Ody needed a few things to keep it healthy. ATF changes every other oil change is one of the things my Ody needs and I want to keep the mada running just as well.

So tomorrow would be my best chance to change it. The temp tomorrow is going to be 34F. After that we go back between -17 F and the 20's F. Unless someone says differently, it is going to get changed tomorrow with some PP 5w30 from the stash.

You have a real nice ride, AND an unusually severe driving situation.

I would absolutely use synthetic and nothing but synthetic for as long as this does not change. 4000 mile change interval, max. The PP 5-30 is a great choice.

Incidentally, my brother has an Armada.

I am considering dumping the sump and replacing it with some PP from the stash, but leaving the filter in place until the spring OCI. Removing the filter would mean removing a big skid plate. Plus the Fram ultra filter should be able to handle a 15k OCI so this OCI at under 7K should be a piece of cake.

Am I wrong?

Alrighty then.

I am going to bed with the intensions of changing the oil from a 3400 mile Pennzoil Ultra to a fresh Pennzoil Platinum base from my stash and leaving the filter in place until spring. At that point, I will do a full OCI with PU from the stash and a new filter.

Yep. A filter, especially an Ultra is more than capable for a 7500 mile interval. Filter is no issue, the oil is the thing to deal with.

All that said, I might end up burning through some NAPA syn 5w-30 I have in the stash that I've been waiting to use on the Ody. It may only live in the sump until March or April, but I would use the PP or PU I have in my stash on the next OCI.

You know, paying attention to the promotions section and having a HUGE stash helps out in times like these.

(I'd still rather keep it in the sump rather than dump it.)

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
You have a real nice ride, AND an unusually severe driving situation.

I would absolutely use synthetic and nothing but synthetic for as long as this does not change. 4000 mile change interval, max. The PP 5-30 is a great choice.

Incidentally, my brother has an Armada.

Im a little lost...I have the same "commute" and I am told all the time on here to stop using synthetic and use dino at longer intervals...what gives? I dont take that "advice" though, I will keep running syn at shorter intervals because I want this car to last as long as possible. Im just wondering what is different in this situation.

My old 4.7 dodge ram did the same thing on short trips in Minnesota winters. Long trips maybe every other week. Used short change interval, analysis came out fine. No worries.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Im a little lost...I have the same "commute" and I am told all the time on here to stop using synthetic and use dino at longer intervals...what gives?

Well, they are wrong. Syns + shorter interval = sludgeing protection. Some are just die hard fans of conventionals and /or long intervals, period.

I am not a just syn fan by any means. However I realize each has its own advantages, and your (and BobThe) situation is a perfect example where syns will shine.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Im a little lost...I have the same "commute" and I am told all the time on here to stop using synthetic and use dino at longer intervals...what gives?

Well, they are wrong. Syns + shorter interval = sludgeing protection. Some are just die hard fans of conventionals and /or long intervals, period.

I am not a just syn fan by any means. However I realize each has its own advantages, and your (and BobThe) situation is a perfect example where syns will shine.

Ok, glad someone agrees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back