Super Tech Or Oreillys coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 66k miles

17 years old and I'm assuming it's the original coolant still in the radiator and it is in need of changing. Owners manual recommends motorcraft brand of course, but $39 a jug is well beyond what I am willing to pay. Super tech coolant has a ton of good reviews and oreillys brand of coolant has quite a bit of good reviews as well. I'm just wondering would either be good for my ranger especially considering the truck won't be driven beyond 5k miles a year? If not those brands, which brands would you recommend that are budget friendly and will get the job done?

And one more question: how can I tell what color of coolant it is from outside the jug? My manual specs green and yellow coolant only as well as the radiator reservoir showing green coolant on a sticker.

Last edited:
I'd just use SuperTech and not worry about it. I'd flush the system. Drain, fill with distilled water from Walmart, run, drain again and fill with coolant to achieve a 50/50 mix.
You could do 60% water and 40% coolant in the south.
Distilled water by itself is corrosive so you don't wanna leave it in long but 30 minutes to flush the system will be fine.

I think that Ford used G-05 in 2002 and Zerex G-05 is pretty reasonable at NAPA....especially when on sale.....but I agree that either of those that you mention should be fine with a complete flush.

Originally Posted by pbm
I think that Ford used G-05 in 2002 and Zerex G-05 is pretty reasonable at NAPA....especially when on sale.....but I agree that either of those that you mention should be fine with a complete flush.

2002 could be either from the factory, owners manual says to use what is in it. No reason you can't flush it and use which ever thought....

Agree with Motorcraft Gold (G05)...

Zerex G-05 full strength is $19.99/gallon at AutoZone right now and you get a $7 rebate on a gift card too making it $12.99 for full strength coolant.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The Motorcraft gold full strength is $19.76/gal and the pre-mix is $15.71. Whoever is quoting you is really reaching.

Where did you find it for that please sir?

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The Motorcraft gold full strength is $19.76/gal and the pre-mix is $15.71. Whoever is quoting you is really reaching.

Where did you find it for that please sir?

About 3 feet behind me where I have a bin full of it next between my bins of Motorcraft oil filters and Motorcraft spark plugs.

17 years old and I'm assuming it's the original coolant still in the radiator and it is in need of changing.

Dang, that's a long time without a coolant change. Wondering what the inside of the system looks like.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Zerex G-05 full strength is $19.99/gallon at AutoZone right now and you get a $7 rebate on a gift card too making it $12.99 for full strength coolant.

That's what I'd go for, good deal and Zerex is good coolant.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
17 years old and I'm assuming it's the original coolant still in the radiator and it is in need of changing.

Dang, that's a long time without a coolant change. Wondering what the inside of the system looks like.

Yeah it may not be...but I'm changing it regardless. Rusty looking water basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back