Super Tech oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that the Walmart Super Tech oil filters are a premium filter. I just bought one for $1.97 today. I'm wondering how they can be this cheap as compared to Bosch Premium at $5.99 or Mobil 1 at $11.99 and be as good as either of these. Just thinking about the old saying "You get what you pay for". Anyone have any experience or comments on this?

thanks

While it is a pretty decent filter, it isn't up to the same level as the Bosch Premium, even if it is made in the same place. The Bosch premium has a higher quality media, and filters out smaller particles. But for $2, this Supertech filter really is very well built.

I use them and like them alot FWIW.

Next time your at Walmart take a look at a ST-2 then compare to a Motorcraft FL 820.
Yeah the 6607 is a little on the small side but plenty imo for those 3-3500 mile drains.Want to extend a drain with one of the 6607's ? Just spin it off and tiop off with fresh oil,,two filters for the price of one for the most part
smile.gif

The 3980 for the 2.2 Cavalier that I use have been on the car for 6 months and 6700 miles before w/o apparent oil drain back failure

Overall you get more than you pay for imo but as usual,opinions vary

quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
I've read that the Walmart Super Tech oil filters are a premium filter. I just bought one for $1.97 today. I'm wondering how they can be this cheap as compared to Bosch Premium at $5.99 or Mobil 1 at $11.99 and be as good as either of these. Just thinking about the old saying "You get what you pay for". Anyone have any experience or comments on this?

Wal-Mart buys in such quantities, that they can negotiate good prices with their suppliers. I'm sure Champion was quite pleased to enter into a deal which allows Wal-Mart to sell these filters for $1.98, when it allows Champion to make enough of these private label oil filters to stock every Wal-Mart in the US. The Champion salesman who landed that account surely got a nice bonus!

FWIW, I've cut open both the Bosch and SuperTech filters and I honestly could not see any differences. The media looked the same to me. But I'll take the poster at his word who said he got it straight from Champion that the SuperTech is a 20 micron filter (which is fine by me) and the Bosch is a 15 micron filter.

[ December 01, 2002, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

I am still not convinced of the Super Tech filters from Wally Mart!! I looked at some of them in the store and compared them to the AC Delcos.

The replacements for the PF52, PF58 and PF59 look poor because they only have very few and on top of that very small holes in the inner metal spindle in the cartridge.
The ST replacement for the PF44 looks decent. many small holes in the inner spindle.

I dont like that at all in filters. First thing I always look at is the amount and size of the inlet holes in the base plate and the amount and size of the outlet holes in the cartridge inner metal spindle.

The Super tech are not what I would want on my engine. There are better filters for not much more money available, so why mess with them.

The new Micro-Gard line at O'Reilly's looks much better than the Super Tech filters. they seem to be made by Purolator (same part numbers).

[ December 01, 2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

As with Dragboat, I put the larger 3980 on my son's 97 Cav with good results (Good oil analysis to help confirm it). Can't be beat for the price.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

FWIW, I've cut open both the Bosch and SuperTech filters and I honestly could not see any differences. The media looked the same to me. But I'll take the poster at his word who said he got it straight from Champion that the SuperTech is a 20 micron filter (which is fine by me) and the Bosch is a 15 micron filter.

You may be quoting me and thought I might add that I didn't take the filters apart. I've been struggling with deciding which filter to use. I've used both and have not noticed a difference. The filters look almost identical.

I think I may just switch to the supertech if they look the same on the inside too.

Thanks for the tip

I heard folks cut open the ST's and found the elements to be smaller than equivalent Wix/AC Delco filters.

I personally found the holes in the metal for the ST filters to be very small.

I'd go with a Wix/DANA, AC Delco, Motorcraft, or Purolator oil filter.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

And on the two sizes I use for my Olds and Chrysler (ST3890 and ST8A) I found the holes in both the base plate and the steel center tube to be identical to the Bosch filter. And the media was the same size, as well. In fact, it appeared to be the very same type media.

Exactly what I found on some (not all!!) of them too. See above post....
quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I heard folks cut open the ST's and found the elements to be smaller than equivalent Wix/AC Delco filters.

I'd go with a Wix/DANA, AC Delco, Motorcraft, or Purolator oil filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Exactly what I found on some (not all!!) of them too. See above post....

I'd be willing to bet that if you took equivalent sizes of the Bosch and SuperTech filters, you'd find the base plates and center tubes on all the filters would be identical. (And this can be done with a flashlight; cutting the filters open isn't necessary.)

I personally think the only valid way to judge whether or not a filter's holes are "too small" would be to measure the flow of the filter. And the only valid way to compare the area of the holes from one filter to the other would be to actually measure the area. Looks can be very deceiving when it comes to holes.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back