Super Tech 5W-20 SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some of this laying around from when I bought a stash last year for a buck fifty a quart. I've used some in a car I used to own and for doing oil changes for friends. I've never seen a UOA or VOA on this oil and curiosity got the best of me! This oil came from a 6 qt case I bought at Wal Mart and still had the Warren shipping label which said it was syn blend. Sample from a shaken, unopened qt bottle.

Analysis by WearCheck

Oil Type: Super Tech SAE 5W20 SM
The viscosity index is 172.

Silicon 7.3
Potassium 14
Sodium 0.0
Fuel (%) Glycol ---
Water (%) Soot (%) ---
Sulfation ---
Nitration ---

OIL CONDITION

Boron 16
Barium 1.8
Calcium 2796
Magnesium 11
Molybdenum 0.0
Sodium 0.0
Phosphorus 703
Sulfur 2763
Zinc 863
Visc@40°C 48.23
Visc@100°C 9.06
Oxidation ---
TAN 1.38
TBN 9.64

"WEAR"

Iron 1.5 ---
Nickel 0.7 ---
Chromium 0.2 ---
Titanium 0.0 ---
Copper 0.0 ---
Aluminum 0.4 ---
Tin 0.0 ---
Lead 0.9 ---
Silver 0.3 ---

I must say I was a bit surprised-calcium and TBN were both higher than I expected.

I'm not buying it. You sir are a fraud! No if thats for real than thats amazing! Even the 48.23 to 9.06 spread is amazing! You have to be in the mid 50's to be in the 9's normaly. TBN 9.64 is up there with most group III synthetics. I just dont believe it. If its true thats the best price per value on the market hands down from a VOA perspective.

Are you sure they didn't get a sample mixed up? That does seem too good to be true.

What is the Sulphur tested?

Maybe it's mislabeled and is supposed to be 5W-20 CJ-4 lol.

I just talked to a coworker whose vehicle I installed this in and he will have 5k on it next week so I'll get a UOA then.

My next move will be to get a sample on some of the "new style" bottle on shelves now and see if it's the same stuff.

I'm still reasearching the sulpher but it sticks in my mind around 3000 is normal for an engine oil?

REDDOG

Last edited:
"viscosity index is 172"

Really????
thumbsup2.gif

The lab provided the VI in the report.

For years the msds has said this oil is made by SOPUS/Specialty Oil Co and the only oils I can find they produce that come close to these specs are their full syns. The additive package looks different than any of their oils I'm aware of.

I'm sending out a VOA of the new style bottle I bought a couple of weeks ago to see if it is still the same.

Last edited:
That looks like a decent oil seldom do we see anything Walmart has bottled that looks deccent. I suspect though that all 5W20's have decent additive packages to make up for the lack of the a decent hths

Results as expected as an early blend of SM 5w-20. SM doesnt matter who makes it is supposed to be an extended drain OLM oil. WHATS up with the sulphur though?!

Sorry I've been a little busy and forgot to post the second sample of the newer style bottle, current Super Tech 5W-20. Looks much different than the oil I posted above. I haven't got the oil sampled from my coworkers Mitsu yet either...

Analysis also by Wearcheck:
Oil Type: Super Tech SAE 5W20 (New/current style bottle).

Silicon 3.0
Potassium 0.0
Sodium 404
Fuel (%) Glycol ---
Water (%) Soot (%) ---
Sulfation ---
Nitration ---

OIL CONDITION

The viscosity index is 170.

Boron 0.5
Barium 0.0
Calcium 1812