SUNOCO is back on list for Top Tier gasoline brands

Really? That doesn't seem to make much sense. That's just brand realignment even though they're both well known brands.

Around here we had Exxon and Mobil stations but those brands mostly went away in the 90s. I saw them in other parts of California, but they basically left most of our area. Then they started coming back about 2015. Also Texaco started going away except for the occasional station. It was kind of weird that there were barely any (pre-Chevron merger) Texaco stations when it was very easy to find in the 70s. I remember one in a very prominent location in Oakland next to the freeway. They had this really tall sign that was hard to miss. It's not an independent. Also for some reason a lone Texaco station well into the interior of the campus of Stanford University. That eventually rebranded to Valero, but it was odd how it stayed a Texaco station for so long. Now that station is gone. But a few Texaco stations have popped up. Kind of odd too since Chevron is so dominant.

Yup that's what I have seen during my DFW route travels :unsure: 🤷‍♂️ . On google maps pics they showed Conoco's but now some are new converted over 76's or just shut down indefinitely

On a side note: I grew up(80's/ early 90's) and recently lived in SF bay area (Ya I get around lol) / SF city-Peninsula area. All I remember and used was 76, Olympian and Arco fuels lol. Dont remember Texaco's cause I was in the sandbox playing with my Hot Wheels 🤪 :cool: (y)

Dave

First time ever seeing a sticker like this at Sunoco.
Mike B

Attachments

• 20210427_131822.jpg
    20210427_131822.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 36
There are only two Sunoco stations left in my area -- both are exceeded in price per gallon only by the super shady BP down the street that never seems to have any customers. There's a Valero in the next town over, and it's rather shady as well.

In my immediate area, the most frequently seen fuel stops (by number of locations) are Sheetz and Wawa, followed closely by Mobil and Shell. I usually stop at my closest Costco to fill up -- failing that, there's a Mobil close to home if I don't mind paying the extra ten cents a gallon over what Costco's charging.

At the bottom end of things, there's one Citgo that never seems to do any business, the aforementioned shady BP, and the quickly disappearing Mom 'n' Pop stops (like "Oceanic" -- only ever seen one of those). One of the Giant food stores in the area is set up with gas pumps, and there's the occasional 7-Eleven selling whatever brand fuel they can get.

Sunocos were everywhere in the Buffalo NY area until maybe a year or two ago? They're all Valero, Speedway, etc now. The little mom/pop deli / store / gas station near me turned from Sunoco to Valero a good 5+ years ago and it's the only station with top tier stickers on the pumps that I know of in the area. Who knows if that really means anything these days.
Exxon-Mobil, Marathon, Arco (now coming back for some reason), Citgo are also Top Tier widely available in WNY...

Sunoco was once dominant but seems to be rolling back, but still have a lot of gas stations here...

I filled up today in Lockwood and Perry MO locations and noticed that the Tip Tier stickers are peeled off pumps in both locations.
I just checked the Top Tier list, and MFA/Breaktime is no longer listed. No idea when that happened, but my previous comment is now incorrect.

I remember the days with my 1968 Charger filling it up with Sunoco 260 and heading to the drag strip......

Back