Sumitomo tires

Can't really report on personal experience, but I did order a set for my Aunt's Outlander and she likes them. They're really a sleeper tire for the price. They make Falken tires and seem to share a lot of the tread patterns. I know their AT tire is almost identical to the infamous Falken Wildpeak.

Can't speak about their entire line. I've had several sets of Sumitomos, always same tire, UHP A/S radials. They were about average for wear, noise. Very good grip. Overall they are an acceptable tire if the price is right.

So many variables on such a broad question. They make dozens of different models of tires made in factories all over the world. Heck, even different size of one model might come from different factories as well as one size being made at different factories. At least mention which model Sumo you're looking at or considering. They are a pretty reputable tire company along the lines of Bridgestone so I wouldn't worry too much.

Along the lines of what's been said, I had a set years ago....before BITOG....before Tirerack, even.
They were recommended by a trusted service station and were just fine. <<See....an example of using good tradespeople.

anyone with history current or past, wet/dry/braking handling along with ride and tread life?
Ran these on a Subaru with decent results. Sumitomo HTR A/S P02
Screenshot 2024-05-26 100812.jpg

Owned two sets. One performed normal. Snow traction was fine, never hydroplaned, and wear was probably around normal. Had another set that were the loudest tires I've ever owned. Couldn't wait to get rid of them. It's too general a question.

I had a set of Sumitomo summer tires (HTRZ3) on my old Mustang (2012), and I loved them. They were an amazing value, drove wonderfully, quiet, grippy, a really good street tire. They took barely any weight to balance, and were runway smooth on the highway.

Had some on my old MK6 Jetta TDI, i believe they were HTR something or other, in 17".

Great handling and longevity if properly balanced and rotated, pretty cheap too.

Ran these on a Subaru with decent results. Sumitomo HTR A/S P02
View attachment 221353

I ran those on a focus, and my friend had them on a Saturday ls200. They were pretty good tires and probably the best you'd be able to get within $30 of the price per tire.

NVH was average when new but quickly went up as the tread went down; same as wet grip. Lasted all of 50k miles before replacing them at 3/32.

Put these on a Highlander,
HTR A/S P03,
balanced easily with almost no need for weights. Smooth on the highway.
Very impressed so far.

Back