Suggestions for Toyota 1GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My company vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, which is basically a USDM Lexus GX-Series but with the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6.

There are quite a few different types of use mentioned in the owner's manual, including towing, driving in dusty conditions, off-roading among a few more. For some reason or another, Toyota recommend changing the oil every 5,000 km/3,000 miles with the only difference being time-based intervals:

Normal driving: 5,000 km/3,000 miles or 6 months
City driving: 5,000 km/3,000 miles or 3 months
Dusty conditions: 5,000 km/3,000 miles or 3 months
Towing: 2,500 km/1,500 miles or 3 months
Offroading: 2,500 km/1,500 miles or 3 months

Extended service intervals are not mentioned, and based on the temperature chart, you can use anything from a 5W-30 to 20W-50. 5W-30 is listed up to 35 Celsius/95 Fahrenheit and the others (10W-30, 15W-40 and 20W-50) are up to 50+ Celsius/122+ Fahrenheit.

For 5W-30 and 10W-30, they recommend API SM/ILSAC GF-4
For 15W-40 and 20W-50, they recommend API SL "or better"

I don't treat company cars any different than my own and I don't want to be using Middle East sourced 20W-50 like everyone else, even if it is "Genuine Toyota Motor Oil". But I see no point in wasting a synthetic if I'm only going to be running it 3,000 miles or 6 months (80% highway/20% city driving, no offroading, slightly dusty conditions). I tend to cover 3,000 miles in about 4-5 weeks. If I could extend the interval, I would use a synthetic 5W-30 or 5W-40 meeting ACEA A3/B4 and be done with it.

But given I need to follow these intervals for warranty, I decided to go with Motorcraft Syn Blend 10W-30 SN/GF-5 - widely available, cheap and good stuff. Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

Also, I replace the air filter every 10,000 km/6,250 miles in all my vehicles and this is no exception. But out of curiosity, would it be a waste to run the cartridge filter only 3,000 miles? Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Oh shoot, posted this in the wrong forum. Can an admin please move this to the PCMO section? Thanks!

Genuine Toyota motor oil is made by XOM. So M1 is the logical alternative. The short interval recommendations may related to environmental conditions (dusty, sandy, etc)

Standard suggestion would be M1 5w30 for 7,500 mile OCI.

I think it justifies for dusty.

I remember those dust storms in Kuwait with my parents throwning a towel over me and running into house from car. There would be sand in all cracks of house and myself in those things.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Genuine Toyota motor oil is made by XOM. So M1 is the logical alternative. The short interval recommendations may related to environmental conditions (dusty, sandy, etc)

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, Genuine Toyota Motor Oil is supplied by the Sharjah National Lube Oil Company in the United Arab Emirates for the Middle East market. I'm not sure if the formulation is the same as XOM's in North America, and considering it's from the UAE, I would rather a European or American oil to be honest.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

I remember those dust storms in Kuwait with my parents throwning a towel over me and running into house from car. There would be sand in all cracks of house and myself in those things.

Pretty much so, although 3,000 miles is quite short considering I run 6,250 miles in my other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, Genuine Toyota Motor Oil is supplied by the Sharjah National Lube Oil Company in the United Arab Emirates for the Middle East market. I'm not sure if the formulation is the same as XOM's in North America, and considering it's from the UAE, I would rather a European or American oil to be honest.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Pretty much so, although 3,000 miles is quite short considering I run 6,250 miles in my other vehicles.

Ok. Although XOM does not refine Toyota brand over there, you know M1 would be a good choice because they use XOM over here. Would appear that the air filter and a good air intake box seal is as important as oil choice.

Ok. Although XOM does not refine Toyota brand over there, you know M1 would be a good choice because they use XOM over here. Would appear that the air filter and a good air intake box seal is as important as oil choice.

Definitely. A lot of people clean their air filters here, but I reckon about 10,000 km/6,250 miles is it for me. I just replace them. Over time, the heat takes its toll on the seals as well. The only problem with Japanese applications is that the seal is on the air box lid, and not the filter, which they don't sell separately. Tend to apply a bit of Vaseline or silicone grease on it every time I change it, but eventually it will need replacement.

As far as the oil is concerned, XOM is definitely a good choice, but limited availability and price is what's kind of holding me back. XOM's conventional range is also sourced from the UAE, and is of 20W-50 viscosity. 10W-30 was available at one point, but that was also from the Middle East. Mobil 1, on the other hand, is only available in 0W-40 flavor and costs ~$17.73 a liter. I need just under 7 liters for this application, I'm not sure if I'm really willing to spend that sort of money if I'm only running 3,000 mile intervals. Cheaper synthetic alternatives, however, include:

- Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 (~$7.10/quart)
- Liqui-Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40 (~$8.50/liter)
- Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 (~$13.48/quart)
- Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 (~$14.20/quart)

(PP is sold at Ace Hardware, and I have no idea why it costs more than PU sold at the Chrysler dealer).

Then again, it makes me feel guilty wasting those synthetics for such a short interval.
21.gif

Haven't done any UOAs, no. I'm just wondering if Toyota would still honor the warranty if I do extended drain intervals with UOAs though. It explicitly mentions the 5,000 km/3,000 mile oil changes are required for warranty purposes. will contact their Mid East office and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back