Suggestions for 5.7 Hemi in a pickup

Hey all! Havent been here in a while. Picked up a decent deal on a 2020 Ram Hemi. I wanted to see what y'alls TOP recommendation for the 5.7. Aka best filter for this truck.

Money not an issue and the duties for this truck will include a lot of stop and go driving - like 90% (I live in the D.C area) with some occasional towing. Nothing too crazy but maybe in the 5-7k lb. Range id say. Oils ive been known to run are Pennzoil ultra, amsoil, quaker state and Mobil 1 so I'll go with one of those in a 5w-20

Mine really likes Valvoline 5-20 full synthetic. Starts quiet, runs quiet and oil pressure the same at idle and driving. Good stuff for it.

I run the stock Mopar filter on my hemi, started with an oil change at 1,000 miles using PYB 5W-20.
Did the second oil change at 5,000 miles, again with PYB 5W-20.
Going with old school thinking on bedding in piston rings with some moderate compression braking.
Haven't decided on "conventional" PYB or PP on my next change.
Will stick with 5,000 mile OCI, I consider my oil use as being as being severe.

I haven't run across a "bad" oil filter yet after trying all different makes/models on my two 5.7L Hemis. I have found that running the standard version of any brand (Wix, Mopar, Fram) for 2 consecutive OCIs can be iffy with respects to the ADBV. The standard model oil filters' ADBV for the various brands I've tried have tended to allow the oil to drain back into the sump when parked overnight on an incline/decline, but that's only when it's into its second OCI, never the first.

So if you are going to run the oil filter for 2 consecutive OCIs, make sure to get the ultra/xp/etc. version of whatever filter you are buying. You will hear much less clacking at startup when into that second OCI.

I ran the p1ss out of my 2011 using mostly shell made motomaster 5w20, Pennzoil platinum 5w20 and Fram ultras for two 10,000km indexes. Ran like a top for 150,000km when I traded her in.

I run fram ultras on my gasser trailblazer as well.

I run PP and MO-899 on my '19 classic. Had a wix but kept getting ticking on start up. Not so with the Mopar filter.

To be honest, I’ve used Mopar, K&N, Mobil 1, and Fram Tough Guard filters. I noticed a rattle on more than a few starts with the mobil 1 and K&N. I have not experienced this with any of the Mopar or Fram Tough Guards. Now I can’t say for sure if these were just some sort of strange coincidence, but that was my experience. I have been using Fram TG2 and Mopar filters and have not heard that sound in several years. I don’t put a lot of miles on my truck, therefore the oil gets changed every 6 months, so an Ultra would be overkill. The Fram TG2 is my first choice, then the Mopar filter.

Reactions: JTK
I've got a Napa gold on my new to me 2019 Ram 1500 classic w/ hemi. Seems way too fancy for me. May go with a super tech next if I get to wally world.

My dad's Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L just passed 160k miles. He does a lot of towing, but it's mostly highway miles at 10k mile OCI's. I use either a Fram XG2 or Napa Gold 7899. Both have looked great when I cut them open, no strange start-up noises.

Back