Suggest a scan tool, TPMS.

The Autel Maxi AP200 is a scan tool dongle. With regard to TPMS it can only read the error codes from the vehicles computer. It can't read a sensor, activate a sensor, or program a sensor. If the OP were to buy the AP 200 and then buy the universal sensors from the auto parts store he'd not be able to program them. It does state that the dongle will do ID registration so that would possibly allow the user to buy pre-programmed sensors from the dealer or internet retailer.

I personally wouldn't consider the AP200 as an effective TPMS problem solver.

I had to replace (1) bad sensor a few months ago and called multiple shops (Discount Tire, Tire Discounters, etc) and all of them quoted me $60/each. That covered the sensors, installation, and programming.

See above ^^. My experience was the price didn't change whether you bought them standalone or with a set of tires. Some places might make a deal with tire purchases if you ask though.
That's not my experience. I bought my own sensors ~$35 each pre-programmed, and installation and relearning when doing a set of tires cost $0 more. I just had this done, a week ago. I think they even knocked off $3 per wheel for the installation mounting/balancing/valve-stems package price, because the new sensors came with new valve stems so they didn't have to supply them.

That's not my experience. I bought my own sensors...
You're comparing two different things, paying for sensors the shop supplies vs bringing your own.

I bought sensors for one of our cars ($30/each) and had Discount Tire install them but they still charged me $20/wheel to install + program. At that time (a few years ago), they sold/installed/programmed sensors for $50/each so I might as well have had them take care of everything.... The $60/each sensor was more recent (last spring) and for a different car.

^ Then we are again still comparing the same thing, that I bought the sensors $35 ea. a week-two ago and had $0 charge per wheel. I can't help it if Discount Tire gouged you on price. That's a reason not to go there, IMO.

At the same time, some vehicles have more laborious program (which doesn't apply here since mine were pre-programmed) or relearn procedures, but for most vehicles, it doesn't have to cost that much for doing all 4 wheels at a time, whichever option presents the best value instead.

Yes it is different than the shop supplying them. Why would I ever pay a premium to have a shop supply something if I can DIY (and they take customer brought-in parts which varies but is more common with tpms sensors than many other parts), knowing shops love to mark up parts prices?

Heh, I had a local tire installer quote me over $100 per sensor, for the sensor alone, but no way I was going to fall for that. The internet has changed a lot when it comes to consumer information availability.

The Autel Maxi AP200 is a scan tool dongle. With regard to TPMS it can only read the error codes from the vehicles computer. It can't read a sensor, activate a sensor, or program a sensor. If the OP were to buy the AP 200 and then buy the universal sensors from the auto parts store he'd not be able to program them. It does state that the dongle will do ID registration so that would possibly allow the user to buy pre-programmed sensors from the dealer or internet retailer.

I personally wouldn't consider the AP200 as an effective TPMS problem solver.

Good info.

Found this website which sells pre-programmed Autel sensors, if anyone does go ahead with the idea at your own risk.

https://www.factorywheelreplacement...-programmed-tpms-sensor-with-metal-valve-stem

$39.95/sensor with free shipping

Back