Sucking out the Rear End Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way whats the best way to get all the lube out ? I hate to take the whole differntial cover off , Where can I get some manual device to suck it out the filler hole ... Thanks , Larry B.
dunno.gif

I use a hand pumped vacuum tank called a "Suck-Up" to remove the diff. fluid from both banjo's on my f-150. Make sure the diffs are hot so the fluid thins and it won't take as long.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Take the cover off ,the other way sucks.

I second that!!!

You need to pull the cover and let all of the fluid drain. I don't think that the suction method gets all of the oil and metal in the diff. -Joe

I do what vettenuts does except I made a transfer kit because I never heard of one until now.

I'd rather pull the cover off if it's not too much of a hassle so you can clean out all the oil and wipe off the inside of the cover.

The mitivac with transfer kit is sure handy for refilling.

I hate to pull the cover off also, so I buy the gasket, additive, and oil and pay someone $45 to do it while I watch...

I suck the oil out with a topsider type device. I get the same volume out as I put in. This is so easy that I change the oil much more often.

I even used it to suck out the engine oil on my F150 last time and again I got the same volume out as I put in. I now use the suction device for everything where I want to remove a fluid.

[ April 30, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Howard ]

In my old cars of yore, I used a suction gun to drain the differentials. You may have to go to a real parts store to find one. (Yes, I'm sure it's better to remove the rear cover. But it's a *LOT* more work.
wink.gif
)

It looks like a grease gun with no pump handle & a clear plastic hose. Simple, cheap(when I last bought one years ago), & works great.
grin.gif

The suction hand-pump may not get the last drop and some sludge,BUT the procedure is in the repair manuals. It's not exactly the tranny or engine your pumping out!I had to reduce the hose size a tad to get around and down past the gears.It's a trade-off but works.
cool.gif

Ron

You’d be amazed at all the **** and buildup in a rear diff. Even with good, high quality syn lube you still get a fair amount of junk at the bottom of the “pumpkin.” I don’t really find it too much work to pull my cover off annually, allow the goop to drain, then use about a whole bottle of Berryman’s brake cleaner inside the diff to really get things squeaky clean. Let it sit for awhile to let the solvents from the brake cleaner volatize then either make a gasket with some black RTV or follow your repair manual’s recommendation. Don’t over-torque your bolts or you might get a leak. If using RTV sealant, then let it set up for an hour or so before you refill.

Please so not cut corners!

A)Remove the cover, clean the gunk if any and visually inspect the pinion ad ring gears. Who knows what you will find?

B)Replace the gasket with a new unit.

C)Refill with the best stuff you can afford...hopefully synthetic or anything loaded with moly
smile.gif

Do it right the first time man! The standard labour book says a differential service is only 1-hour of tech labour + parts and disposal.

I agree with the previous posts, who knows what is in there? Furthermore, I can not tell you how much it angers me when i drive behind someone with a leaking differential(ie you can see the wetness on the bottom of it caused by the oil)...due in part by them not chanmging thier gasket.

My truck got third members, both does have drain plugs. The drain plug on the front is one of the bolts disguised as another cover bolt but that one got plugged up by the gasket when the r&p and locker was installed.

For fear of dislodging chucks of gasket if the hole is forced to open, I just now use a suction gun(used Mr Goodpump before). Plus I don't think using that drain hole will get all the fluid out anyway. I still use the small hose from the Mr Goodpump due to space constraint inside the diff. It works but slow. Best to do it when the fluid is warm as mentioned before. I am also still searching for a better way of doing this process.

I am contemplating on using the Schaeffer's purging fluid(#131) to get rid of sludge buildup.

quote:

Furthermore, I can not tell you how much it angers me when i drive behind someone with a leaking differential(ie you can see the wetness on the bottom of it caused by the oil)...due in part by them not chanmging thier gasket.

More times than not, the leaking diff is caused by the pinion seal, not the pan gasket. I had my seal replaced twice, they ended up having to replace the driveshaft coupling with an updated design.

I could care less about a leaking diff on someones vehicle. It's the out of tune or smoke spewers that irritate me... Literally makes my eye water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back