Subaru’s Contradictory Oil Recommendation.....

Originally Posted by Surfdog4
This is interesting. I have a 2018 Traverse that wants Dexos 5w-30. I also have a 2016 Outback with the 2.5l . Would be nice to use 1 oil for both.

What is so difficult about storing two different oil bottles for top-offs?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
This is interesting. I have a 2018 Traverse that wants Dexos 5w-30. I also have a 2016 Outback with the 2.5l . Would be nice to use 1 oil for both.

Not so much a top off issue as one car is 6 quarts and the other is 5.1, so basically 4 5 quart jugs sitting around. Not a world hunger level problem sure, but just would make life a little easier, thats all

Not so much a top off issue as one car is 6 quarts and the other is 5.1, so basically 4 5 quart jugs sitting around. Not a world hunger level problem sure, but just would make life a little easier, thats all

SO, just use 5W30 in both.

What's the big deal about keeping 4.5qts of a five quart jug sitting around? It's smart to buy the bigger jug, versus quarts for leftovers. Plus, next time you only need one jug for the six quart OCI.

Again, we all keep multiple leftover oils for multiple household vehicles, when different oils are needed. Nothing to stress about and it takes-up so little shelf or floor room.

Life has it's stressful moments. But not inside this thread.

DOH!

Why does that second pic keep showing upside down?
Good question.
Upside down now right.jpeg

*That 12-4 2nd bullet point is where the controversy lies : Can I / should I move up to a 5W30 synthetic oil with a cSt of 11 ~ 12 if I plan to be running southern interstates during the Summer in the 2.5L ?

I just bought a cheap Bluetooth obd2 plug in and downloaded torque pro.
It has 100's of engine parameters my old scanner did not have. I love it. Highly recommend.
Oil temp
Trans temp
Coolant temp
Boost
0-60 times.
Check out YouTube some fun vids that go through everything.

I wish our computerized cars gave us access to all this info if we wanted it.
It's a total software cheap our if you ask me.

Engine protection is paramount. Do whatever you think will protect the engine more. Perhaps thinner oil in Winter and thicker in summer is the smartest choice.
If you do a lot of warming up your car before driving you might want to stick with the 5w-30 to combat the fuel dilution issue.
My commute is so short I need to warm up in the cold months, otherwise I can't see out of the windshield.

If you do a lot of warming up your car before driving you might want to stick with the 5w-30 to combat the fuel dilution issue.
My commute is so short I need to warm up in the cold months, otherwise I can't see out of the windshield.
Sounds like a block heater on a timer could be the ticket.

Sounds like a block heater on a timer could be the ticket.
Does nothing for the frost - - I have one and still need to use the auto start with it.
-25/30 celcius is very common for most of our winters here.
My commute is 1.5 minutes one way to work.

Back