Subaru Impreza first oil change - very easy!

hpb

Did the first oil and filter change on the wife's Subaru Impreza today. Very simple to work on. Has enough front bumper clearance to drive up on my ramps, the plastic undertray has a cut out for the sump plug meaning it can stay in place, and the top mount oil filter didn't spill a drop when I loosened it. Literally a 10 minute job. Oil and filter changes going forward will be every 12,500km, as per the Subaru Oz schedule.

Agree. My father's Legacy 2.5 was the easiest that I ever done. Didn't need to even jack it up.

Reactions: hpb
WHAT model + year! generally DIY oil service is EZE + cheep, use a spec oil + keep records + receipts + for warranty i buy OE filters even thou NOT necessary. i keep my rides + have nothing with a warranty buy i take care of girlfriends 18 kia optima 2.4 NA + NO oil added between 6 mo + 5 thou per USA manual + use 10-30 fake synthetic one of choices listed in the owners manual. Quaker State ultimate durability since i duped the 5-20 semi syn the seller a used car dealer had in it. bought with 8 thou on it in 2019, a great economical + roomy car IMO

WHAT model + year! generally DIY oil service is EZE + cheep, use a spec oil + keep records + receipts + for warranty i buy OE filters even thou NOT necessary. i keep my rides + have nothing with a warranty buy i take care of girlfriends 18 kia optima 2.4 NA + NO oil added between 6 mo + 5 thou per USA manual + use 10-30 fake synthetic one of choices listed in the owners manual. Quaker State ultimate durability since i duped the 5-20 semi syn the seller a used car dealer had in it. bought with 8 thou on it in 2019, a great economical + roomy car IMO
Dude, you have to cut back on the coffee. :eek:

Nothing wrong with going under the car. If there's a problem underneath, you won't pick up on it using an oil extractor.

This is a good point that gets missed. Getting underneath let’s the owner check things out and possible catch problems early on like a torn boot for example.

Did it cost you your 14mm socket? Lol. For some reason just about all the Impreza I have worked on involving taking out the drain plug have always ended up cracking my 14mm on the drain plug. Always very tight lol. I love 4 cylinder Subaru engines for this reason super easy to change oil in. That’s part of the reason I chose to be a Subaru tech.

Did it cost you your 14mm socket? Lol. For some reason just about all the Impreza I have worked on involving taking out the drain plug have always ended up cracking my 14mm on the drain plug. Always very tight lol. I love 4 cylinder Subaru engines for this reason super easy to change oil in. That’s part of the reason I chose to be a Subaru tech.
17mm drain plug, was the usual "factory" tight, nothing ridiculous though. New crush washer on and torqued it up until my elbow clicked :)

17mm drain plug, was the usual "factory" tight, nothing ridiculous though. New crush washer on and torqued it up until my elbow clicked :)
Haha that’s good. I see they decided to go back to 17 this year. Always switching it never know what one they are going to use. Yes Subaru plugs are always important to change the gasket on or you will have leaking oil. Been there done that lol. Glad to hear it went well.

Nothing wrong with going under the car. If there's a problem underneath, you won't pick up on it using an oil extractor.
Spot on as a few times monthly I lay on the garage floor with a fairly bright light and look at everything. Easy to spot the slightest leak, unusual tire wear, etc.

When it was time to remove factory fill in the Venza, was shocked how easy it was to access everything. Only 4 screws to remove the cover. Enjoy your ride.

Did the first oil and filter change on the wife's Subaru Impreza today. Very simple to work on. Has enough front bumper clearance to drive up on my ramps, the plastic undertray has a cut out for the sump plug meaning it can stay in place, and the top mount oil filter didn't spill a drop when I loosened it. Literally a 10 minute job. Oil and filter changes going forward will be every 12,500km, as per the Subaru Oz schedule.

Rub it in . Very tempting to get an new IMPREZA .

Last edited:
I liked doing oil changes on my 2016 WRX for all the same reasons.

Nice touch that the oil filter housing even has a drain that sends any spilled oil back into the crankcase (unlike my Tacoma that has a top-mount filter, but you have to run a length of rubber hose from a nipple on the bottom of the housing, or hold a pop bottle under it).

Back