Subaru FB 2.5 - Change in Oil = Consumption?

Subie, I appreciate your input and experience here (especially with the given vehicle!) Its not my first one, just the first experience with the FB and its consumption patterns. My other Subarus would drink some from time to time, so a little bit of burning doesnt worry me, even the 1/2 qt that Miler88 mentioned with his Outback.

For the record, I have been going back and forth on most of my vehicles with either M1 or PP based on shopping the rebates. I do have a little bit of Castrol Magnetec that I got as part of the AA clearance a few years back, but that usually goes in my wife's van.

Originally Posted by NOTEVIL81
Hi i joined this forum after reading your oil consumption problem with your forester. Why do you not want a free $ 6000 dollar engine and loaner car for less than 4 hours time at subaru. just had the engine replaced on my daughters 2016 forester with 49000 miles.she had 1 quart consumption every 400 miles. same consumption even with rotella 10-30. easy peasy but you playing around with various oils your going to miss out. they told me the oil test must be started before 68000 miles. thats 1500$ an hour for your time.

I didnt say I would not want a replacement from Subaru. I havent driven enough or had enough oil changes to know what my "normal" is, so I wanted to ask here. My concern would be that Im seeing the issue, but the Subaru oil (or whatever my dealer is using for fill) would not be consumed as rapidly. I know that if its really worn oil control rings, the maker of the oil is irrelevant. So my thought was to see if anyone else has noticed issues with swapping oils and consumption to draw my own sorts of conclusions. I certainly will go in for the consumption test if the light comes back on, or if I have a noticeable drop on the dipstick. But my dealer is the opposite direction from my work, and its a lot of effort to get there around other travel obligations. So I want to do my own investigating/asking questions about consumption from others before I start down the "official" remedy path.

Im very glad to hear that you had a great experience with your dealer and the consumption testing, and that gives me hope that I would have a similar experience should I need to go down that route.

Wanted to post back here for anyone looking into this in the future.

Ended up going for a consumption test, and it turns out it wasnt my imagination. Test failed, new short block on order.

Im assuming I didnt see the issue right after purchase due to dealer overfill. But at this point now I will have a new baseline in a few weeks to start from. I could ask the best way to break in the engine, but I know that results in all sorts of discussion....
23.gif

I maintain a FB25 for a friend and his current one(mom's old car before she got an Ascent) doesn't seem to drink too much on Idemitsu or PP. I had to top it off at the 4K mark, which doesn't meet Subaru's criteria for a new engine.

When I used M1 on his old one he sold, it drank it at the rate of 1qt/1200K. Still doesn't meet Subaru's criteria but enough to be concerned.

Subaru's OEM fill is Idemitsu, and so is the oil they sell at the dealer which I was shocked to see the local dealer using - most dealers will use bulk name-brand oil. If he does keep the car long enough past emissions warranty(10/150K I think, CA PZEV) I might switch the car over to M1 0W-40 or Castrol Edge 0W-30. Right now, I'll keep on using Idemitsu as I'm seeing good results with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
I maintain a FB25 for a friend and his current one(mom's old car before she got an Ascent) doesn't seem to drink too much on Idemitsu or PP. I had to top it off at the 4K mark, which doesn't meet Subaru's criteria for a new engine.

When I used M1 on his old one he sold, it drank it at the rate of 1qt/1200K. Still doesn't meet Subaru's criteria but enough to be concerned.

Subaru's OEM fill is Idemitsu, and so is the oil they sell at the dealer which I was shocked to see the local dealer using - most dealers will use bulk name-brand oil. If he does keep the car long enough past emissions warranty(10/150K I think, CA PZEV) I might switch the car over to M1 0W-40 or Castrol Edge 0W-30. Right now, I'll keep on using Idemitsu as I'm seeing good results with it.

LOL Subaru loosing more potential car owners by the day.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

This isn't widespread enough to be a large issue. I have a 2018 FB2.5 with 10k miles on it. So far, no measureable drop in oil level over 5k mi OCIs. My next OCI will be 10k and should expose any consumption over that duration. The vast majority are not experiencing issues.

Just out of curiosity, do you make this same comment towards all the Hondas, Toyotas, Nissan, etc. that are having mass oil consumption issue? Every manufacturer is having them and most are having them in larger numbers than subaru.

Originally Posted by badtlc
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

This isn't widespread enough to be a large issue. I have a 2018 FB2.5 with 10k miles on it. So far, no measureable drop in oil level over 5k mi OCIs. My next OCI will be 10k and should expose any consumption over that duration. The vast majority are not experiencing issues.

Just out of curiosity, do you make this same comment towards all the Hondas, Toyotas, Nissan, etc. that are having mass oil consumption issue? Every manufacturer is having them and most are having them in larger numbers than subaru.

Yes if those model have the same issues. I'm an equal opportunity outer!

I actually had a tow call on a lady who had a 2015 Outback with the FB25 with the same complaint; the oil light came on the night before on the way home; she thought it might be a headgasket issue from her memory of EJ25 Subarus as a teen.

I thought this odd, so I took a look, oil was looking a bit between clean and grey but about half a quart low, not a milkshake and also doesn't overheat, so it not a head gasket issue. I asked her about the last oil change, which she said was about 1200ish miles ago, was right before a road trip and she went to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change as she was in a hurry, which she knows they used something different than what her regular shop uses; I looked it up and they of course gave her 0W20 SynPower.

I suggested they do an oil change back to her regular oil before they go down the route of "short block replacement", which she found out was Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Something similar happened to the friend's Forester - turned out to be a bad oil pressure switch. I'd be more bugged with the PH6607 sized filter most quick lubes install.

I switched my father's 2013 Legacy from 0W20 to 5W30, it doesn't burn a drop of oil now between 5K OCIs.

If you can get a new short block, do it. We need to teach Subaru that oil consumption will cost them dearly in the long run. I don't condone it but I wouldn't be surprised if people on the edge of the consumption limit are cheating to create more loss.

Why not get the “free engine”? Here’s why. I have a 2014 outback with 2.5 and 6MT. The engine failed the consumption test at about 95k (if I recall correctly, it was using about 12 ounces in 1200 miles). Dealership said they replaced long block. Something sounded odd with the replacement from day one. I am at 150k on odometer now and go through just over one quart in 1200 miles. MPG has dropped (about 32 new, 28 currently, 18 pulling a small trailer with a motorcycle on it) an it has even less power (I didn’t think that was possible but the Subaru proved me wrong). I figure my catalytic converter is probably plugged now and contributing to both. I used to use Mobil 1 but switched to Napa brand oil. I saw no difference in consumption so have stuck with the less expensive Napa synthetic 0W-20. This is my first and last Subaru.

Hello all.

I have a relatively new to me Forester with the FB 2.5. I know its the one thats a potential oil burner, so Im a little paranoid.

I picked it up with a little over 60k miles, and had a fresh oil change from the dealer. I went to just a little over 65k and did a change and put in some PP 0-20. Just about 1600 miles later, the low oil light came on when going around a curve and up a hill, even though I had been checking on a weekly basis.

So in the past I have heard that when you change oil brands it can temporarily increase consumption, and then levels out, and for me it seems some oils tend to be burned more than others. (I had an old Ranger that would consume Mobil quickly, but did just fine on Castrol GTX)

Ill wait and see if I have to add more before my next planned change at 70k, and then consider taking it in for an oil consumption test.

My question is that Im curious if the oil brand would really impact the oil consumption so drastically. The dealer did add the BG additive to the oil, but my guess is more that they overfilled it and so it didnt trigger the light.

Any thoughts?
I have *wife actually) owned over 7 subaru over a few decade along with a couple FB and couple EJ
Years ago I performed and oil change with PP and the car burned that oil like it was an all U can eat buffet. Any Subaru 4 cylinder with V8 sized pistons needs and oil near a good 30 grade. Stay away from Mobil and Pennzoil and Castol Edge . The new Valvoline seems pretty good and you would think it is the same or similar to PP but the new QuakerState 10W30 is excellent. you must also be cautious with the 'mystery stick' that is the Subaru dipstick. Also the Subaru Idemistsu oil has been excellent as of late and is likely better than any other oil on the market.
If the car is tipped left or right - even just a little bit - the DS will read a ~1/2 quart high or low. I have confirmed this multiple times on the Wife's car; if the car is 'downhill 'on the driver's side it will read LOW et vice versa.
I would monitor the consumption carefully. Also and I am not aware if the class action include subsequent owners.
An All the time I serviced a PCV on the the hard to service EJ engines they were clean as a whistle. I would ignore that for now,

Make sure your Rear diff fluid has been changed at least once. The 75W90 Supertech synthetic is excellent and inexpensive.
DO NOT use Mobil HD 85W90

- Ken

Yoiks! Just noticed that. Not awake yet on a Monday morning here.
Yes, I know it is a 2.5 year old thread. I came across it looking for an explanation of why these engines drink so much oil. If Subaru has figured it out (and admitted why) I will consider fixing it. But if the replacement engine I got about two years ago (when this thread was new) is the new and improved model, then my advice to anyone considering a warranty replacement is to not bother.

Its most likely the oil control rings worn prematurely. Oil wont fix faulty parts.
Or the oil control rings are badly Carboned up and can't move properly.
Try BG EPR or Liqui moly proline engine flush
Those 2 are great for cleaning ring packs.

well it seems you learned the hard way not to buy a subaru. goes to show not all jap cars are great
Subaru have had their engine problems. But my wife's crosstrek was the best car she has owned since I married her 31 years ago.
The two worst were a base Honda civic coupe (garbage engine and clutch) and a 2005 Toyota rav 4 that fell apart in three years.
I did enjoy driving both the Honda and the Rav 4 in the few occasions I had to run them. The Honda had some absolutely terrible engineering in the ignition and in the engine valvetrain metallurgy. The Rav 4 just has substandard components and materials in places you wouldn't want them like waterpump, shocks and exhaust and headbolts.
Most American Iron from the mid 60's were the great cars. I am not aware of any "great" Japanese cars. Other than mid eighties Camry
as a commuter box and the 300ZX Nissan for a sports car. Those are the only two that pop into my head while I'm waking up this morning.
Just recalled the 87 Honda Prelude Si. My last roommate liked his

Last edited:
Back