Opinions on Subaru fb engines and oil weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2011 Forester at my last job seemed to leak more than it burned, leaky valve covers and/or cam plates. Paid to have them fixed once at ~120K miles, stopped the leak until ~160K miles, still used approximately 1/2 quart every 1500 miles while the leaks were stopped. I'd say it was a junky engine, but the vehicle was still running without issue (other than the driver adding oil) at 210K miles when I changed jobs.

Last edited:
I am stoked on how smooth my Crosstrek runs on Kendall GT-1 Max 5W30. For example, if I am accelerating hard, peddle to the metal up a hill, all I hear is the whining of the CVT, where as before I would hear clattering in the engine. Not even the Castrol Edge 5W30 I used just prior to the Kendall could smooth out the engine so nicely. And at $14.95 for 5 qts. it seems to good to be true, so will have to wait and see what a UOA reports after 7K miles. Fingers crossed that Kendall is taking as good of care of the engine as it sounds so far.

I have successfully run 0w-20/5w-20 Castrol Magnatec and EP and 0w-20 Mobil 1 EP. 5w-30 Havoline and Castrol Magnatec. All of these were smooth and used virtually no oil. Might try the Kendall next based on the example above.

My last oil change. I used half 0w 20 and 5w 30 Valvoline synpower. I sent it to blacksone. Subaru manual it says 3750 or 4 months whichever comes first. I did 2800 miles in 4 months. Great report Blackstone says leave it in till 5k and check again. The milage was lots of short trips over the winter. Oil in now is RP 0w20, after that I have a stash of Mobil 1 0w20.

Originally Posted by IMPALA08
My last oil change. I used half 0w 20 and 5w 30 Valvoline synpower. I sent it to blacksone. Subaru manual it says 3750 or 4 months whichever comes first. I did 2800 miles in 4 months. Great report Blackstone says leave it in till 5k and check again. The milage was lots of short trips over the winter. Oil in now is RP 0w20, after that I have a stash of Mobil 1 0w20.

FB oil burning issues aside, and despite short trips falling under the severe service oci, I don't believe that I have ever seen a uoa on n/a Subaru that shows that a car needed to follow the severe service internal whether it was 3k miles or 3,750 miles.

49.gif
35.gif

Bluesubi, I have to agree with you. Ever post I've seen for Subaru and uao show great reports. I may leave this in for 7000 miles no matter how long it takes.

Originally Posted by sw99
We are at 38K on the 18' OB and zero consumption so far.

Are you keeping your oil and viscosity a secret?
What's under your hood sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back