Subaru Brand Oil

I got an email promoting Subaru dealer services. In the email the claim was made that:
We recommend refilling with Genuine Subaru Oil at every oil change because it's the ONLY oil formulated specifically for your SUBARU BOXER® engine.

It's formulated with a unique blend of additives, detergents and modifiers specific for the lubrication needs of the SUBARU BOXER engine.
It reduces wear and cleans internal components to maximize engine life and maintain optimal fuel economy.3
Each batch is lab-tested over 10 different ways to help ensure consistent quality.

I would like to know who manufactures the oil and how it differs from other API SN and GF-5 oils. Also how this formulation meets specific needs of Subaru Boxer engines. I'd like to post the response on Bob is the Oil Guy.

This was the response:
Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. and providing me with the opportunity to assist you. I apologize for my delay in reaching out to you, as we are currently experiencing longer than normal response times.

Engine designs vary from one automotive manufacturer to another, each creating different internal conditions that require the right type of oil to protect against heat and friction. This is why we recommend servicing with Genuine Subaru Oil, because it’s the ONLY oil formulated specifically for your SUBARU BOXER® engine.

Here are some reason why we recommend using Genuine Subaru motor oil.

• Engineered to clean and protect internal engine components between oil changes better than most leading aftermarket brands*
  • Formulated with a unique blend of additives, detergents, and modifiers specific for the lubrication needs of the SUBARU BOXER® engine
  • Reduces wear and cleans internal components to maximize engine life and maintain optimal fuel economy
  • Each batch is lab-tested over 10 different ways to help ensure consistent quality
If you are looking for additional technical information we would recommend speaking with your local authorized Subaru service center.

My evaluation of the response is that they claim their oil is better, but are keeping the reasons to themselves. I conclude that the oil is basic API SN and GL-5 oil.

Subaru oil comes from Subaru's oil wells ,, good stuff. [Sarcasm] We need to look at the ratings. For example usually in the manual the manufactures spec is recommended reading on it will add or a SP rated oil.

Specific requirements usually would generate a specification by subaru (like VW et al)

No specific requirements called out = none worth making a special oil IMHO. Subaru DOES have ATF (CV) specs, none for oil?

Each batch is lab-tested over 10 different ways to help ensure consistent quality

As opposed to other lubricant mfg who just mix stuff up and throw it into a bottle.

Not sure why I am so snarky this morning; at one time i thought subaru oil was made by idemitsu.

Last edited:
Specific requirements usually would generated a specification by subaru (like VW et al)

No specific requirements called out = none worth making a special oil IMHO.

As opposed to other lubricant mfg who just mix stuff up and throw it into a bottle.

Not sure why I am so snarky this morning; at one time i thought subaru oil was made by idemitsu.
Hmm is the truth being
Specific requirements usually would generated a specification by subaru (like VW et al)

No specific requirements called out = none worth making a special oil IMHO.

Is telling the truth snarky now?

MARKETING + MORE $$$$$ is why manufactures push their branded made by others lubricants + unless you like the watery 20 wt oils you prolly get. a DIYer has many options but what a dealer offers + uses can vary, + of course you are overpaying at most dealers, your vehicle your $$$. one thing is some dealers may overlook things when they see your record of support HOPEFULLY!! my VW dealer noted that a service record with them $$$$ can be beneficial for a warranty claim!!!

Internet lore indicates that, as Simple gifts states, it's Idemitsu. Don't know if there's anything special about it for Subaru's. My Subaru, with 74000 miles, has run just about every oil you can find at Walmart. Doesn't leak or burn and runs fine. Have always used 0w-20.

It's Idemitsu oil. The gear oil in the Subaru bottles is, as well.

And I'll parrot what everyone else said. If you get an oil change at the dealer you get bulk. The local place tells me they use Valvoline.

The Subaru oil has lots of Moly in it, good stuff. Moly is what ya want with the direct injection gas engines, especially if they have a turbo

The Boxer has a oil filter access from the top of the engine. Most likely the filter looses it’s oil prime. Does that make a difference?

The distributor I worked for before I retired took Subaru oil on not long before I hung 'em up. I remember the drums were clearly marked Idemitsu. The bulk oil was delivered to our warehouse on the same trucks in 330 gallon tote tanks. I sold a little of it to dealers who featured other brands.

The distributor I worked for before I retired took Subaru oil on not long before I hung 'em up. I remember the drums were clearly marked Idemitsu. The bulk oil was delivered to our warehouse on the same trucks in 330 gallon tote tanks. I sold a little of it to dealers who featured other brands.
LOL you worked for Subaru and you don't own one?

LOL you worked for Subaru and you don't own one?
I didn't work for Subaru, I just sold a little of their oil. Their parts network wasn't set up to handle things like bulk oil, so they left that to the lube companies.
I didn't put much effort into it. I called on the dealers once or twice a year, and I think they put orders in through their network. Our company may have just been a delivery agent of sorts. We had a similar deal with BMW lubes.

Back