Subaru Brake Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been trying to get the brakes on my 94 Subaru Legacy with ABS to fully function but am having a lot of issues. This vehicle sits a lot during the summer and becomes my primary mode of transportation in the winter. I recently replaced the rear brake line and the rubber lines in the rear due to a leak. The pads and rotors were replaced on all 4 wheels a couple of years ago and still look good.

I have two brake calipers that were sticking (front drivers side and rear) so I decided to replace them ( actually replaced all four calipers as they were all rusty). Now when I stay sticking I could not drive the vehicle and it would instantly stall or heat up the clutch until it would slip. Issue is I have the same problem with the new calipers. I took the new front caliper off the vehicle and had trouble pushing the piston back. It was so tight that I got a different caliper to replace it with. Put this new one on and same problem.

I did not want to play parts tag with the other caliper so I removed the rear caliper and inspected it. I could move the piston back with my hand and the sliders moved nice and smooth. I put it back on the vehicle and after a couple of pumps of the brakes I had the same problem. I have repeated taking the caliper off the vehicle several times, pushing the piston in by hand and bolting everything back up. I have tried both fully bleeding the system and not bleeding it and have had the same results. I am stumped as to what could be causing this. The piston moves back and forth by hand but is seized after pressure is put on. The other two wheels are fine and the brake pedal comes back up and you can easily feel the different resistance as pressure is increased. Fluid is new, correct, and at the proper level. The car is off when this is happening so no electrical signals are flowing to the brake lines.

If anyone could offer me guidance or suggestions please let me know.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Bad master

I can understand and not understand this. It is a common item between the two brake pistons but also I find it very weird that the front drivers side and rear passenger side are the two being affected. Any explanation??

I'm not sure if this applies to your Subaru or not, but a lot of cars use a diagonal brake circuit.

With a diagonal brake circuit one half of the master sends pressure to the left front and right rear brake while the other half sends pressure to the right front and left rear. It's a safety feature. If you pop a brake line or have some other hydraulic failure you still have some reserve braking at one front wheel, one rear wheel, one left side wheel, and one right side wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back