Subaru and new OCI's Required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

No, I don't think that Synthetic would address the problem. I don't think turbo problems were the issue. My WRX and others were showing increased wear due to damage to the oil from fuel dilution. Even GC was not able to stand up to that. The best course of action is to change the oil out sooner.

Ed

That sounds reasonable to me. For the Turbos to have such poor fuel economy compared to the NA and it being the same engine, it sure sounds like fuel dilution is a big issue.

Quote:

No, I don't think that Synthetic would address the problem. I don't think turbo problems were the issue. My WRX and others were showing increased wear due to damage to the oil from fuel dilution. Even GC was not able to stand up to that. The best course of action is to change the oil out sooner.

Ed

In addition to the fuel dilution problem, there were some turbo failures due to the filter screen on the turbo oil feed line getting sludged up, and starving the turbo bearing of oil.

A 3.75 month oci seems like a waste, even for an STi, since my car is only driven 1-2x per week, which equals about 1000mi in that time period.

Quote:

A 3.75 month oci seems like a waste, even for an STi, since my car is only driven 1-2x per week, which equals about 1000mi in that time period.

Which is why a good quality conventional oil (or a great deal on synthetic), is going to make the most sense, IMO, for people wanting to keep the Powertrain in tact. Although there are already a lot of people changing out pricey synthetic oil every 3k miles.

SoA will probably be very tough with this new rule.

-Dennis

Quote:

Quote:

Which is why a good quality conventional oil (or a great deal on synthetic), is going to make the most sense, IMO, for people wanting to keep the Powertrain in tact. Although there are already a lot of people changing out pricey synthetic oil every 3k miles.

SoA will probably be very tough with this new rule.

-Dennis

What rule aren't they tough with though?
laugh.gif

Jon

A 3.75 turbo OCI requirement would see me doing a ton of Platinum BOGO at Advance Auto or $1.99 after-rebate offers from Pep Boys.... until the warranty expires anyways.

Why doesn't Subaru trust their engines to go farther on today's oils? Are they slapping their own quality in the face?

Some dealerships were inundated with destroyed turbos due to banjo-bolt screen clogging. Most likely the ones running 7.5k or worse OCI's on dino.

Running a quality syn to 10k in these turbo engines (no timing chain chewing around in there) would be about right on the mark. Their factory-level power output isn't that great so as to cook the oil. I never saw a bad drain in mine, which got syn every 7,500. Just alot of fuel smell - and this was with predominantly highway use.
confused.gif
dunno.gif

A modded engine might require more frequent OCI's.

I think Subaru is freaking out over their warranty repairs, and has decided to totally nip this problem. Woe be to him/her who does not religiously follow the new regimen.

This a one vehicle I would not now purchase due to the new stringent OCI requirement. I think the 5k req. on what I'm in now is overkill for this N/A engine.

I am changing every 5k with synthetic in my '05 GT. I haven't had oil analysis but I don't note any fuel smell. Just changed out Havoline SL 5w40 Synthetic. A great oil match and I got through 5 k summer with less than a 1/2 quart of top up oil. Shame that I can't get any more. Now using PP 5w30. May try Rotella T syn 5w40 next summer. I am not concerned about a 5k interval and I could go to 7.5 and still be warranteed, but....

Quote:

..........Running a quality syn to 10k in these turbo engines (no timing chain chewing around in there) would be about right on the mark. Their factory-level power output isn't that great so as to cook the oil. I never saw a bad drain in mine, which got syn every 7,500. Just alot of fuel smell - and this was with predominantly highway use.
confused.gif
dunno.gif

If your oil smells like fuel, the last thing you want to do is a 10K OCI, even with synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back