Stupid browser problems win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
It's why I can still buy Windows 7 computers from HP, DELL and Lenovo ...

I'm still running Windows 7 and love it. Might even just keep using it after Microsoft's support ends. I mean how security patches have already been done, and how many real vulnerabilities still exist with Win7?

It'll still be supported for a while yet I'd imagine. Depending on how resistant the Enterprise is, they may have to extend the support for it.

Or, he can spend no money and just install Linux on it and get rid of the problem, which in this case, appears to be Windows 10. It's why I can still buy Windows 7 computers from HP, DELL and Lenovo, it's an option on all the business-grade computer lines still because Windows 10 and its moving target is difficult to deal with and some orgs just don't want to go down that rabbit hole yet.

I'm thinking I dodged a bullet by relentlessly saying no to the free Windows 10 upgrade until they finally quit asking. At the office, 7, at home on the dual boot, 8.

I know it seems self evident, but it's important to run an ad-blocker and tracker-blocker.

I use Ad Block Plus and Ghostery.

Because my home PC is a 2005 vintage gaming unit with Win 8, it's beyond slow by today's standards. Without the add on's, it comes to a halt and does not recover.

I also use a "hover-zoom" add on to view pics on links instead of having to click on everything.

My work PC's are high end i7 Win 10 units. I spent a lot of time disabling the automatic updates, reporting features, and "apps" I don't use. I also replaced my wireless keyboard and mouse with wired gaming ones. As the wireless "logitech" stuff was constantly updating and prompting.

Last edited:
I'm still running Windows 7 and love it. Might even just keep using it after Microsoft's support ends. I mean how security patches have already been done, and how many real vulnerabilities still exist with Win7?
It'll still be supported for a while yet I'd imagine. Depending on how resistant the Enterprise is, they may have to extend the support for it.
MS announced a few days aog that support for Windows 7 would be extended from January 2020 until January 2023. The caveat? It will not be free. With that said, I too, have my "I hate MS moments", but (fingers and toes crossed), I have not had any issues with Win10.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
MS announced a few days aog that support for Windows 7 would be extended from January 2020 until January 2023. The caveat? It will not be free. With that said, I too, have my "I hate MS moments", but (fingers and toes crossed), I have not had any issues with Win10.

There ya go, so another 5 years of support, which means we'll have Windows Updates for that duration. They absolutely hate doing it, but they put themselves in a similar pickle with Windows XP when they released the travesty that was Vista. 7 is the current mature product and 10, with new builds shipping regularly, makes it a moving target, which is hard to work with for developers.

Yes, I'd like to go back to Windows 8.1 after using Windows 10 for over half a year now.
Microsoft seems to forget that most of us LIKE a stable Windows platform, we don't want it to change every year.

Google has a sneaky program included with Chrome that seems to run every day, and can be quite demanding on the PC.
Google seems to think we are all running a high end CPU with SSD storage.
lol.gif

Google provides no option to disable this Chrome Software Reporter Tool, you have to take a heavy handed approach using file/folder permissions to prevent software_reporter_tool.exe from running:

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/h...eporter-tool-software_reporter_tool-exe/

MS announced a few days aog that support for Windows 7 would be extended from January 2020 until January 2023. The caveat? It will not be free.

Not free ... that sucks. Was there a predicted cost to continue Win7 support?

MS announced a few days aog that support for Windows 7 would be extended from January 2020 until January 2023. The caveat? It will not be free.

Not free ... that sucks. Was there a predicted cost to continue Win7 support?

It's pretty normal really, MS did the same thing with XP. I'm guessing they will continue to provide security updates via Windows Update until the new 2023 date, however if they don't, like with XP, there may be a registry hack to "fix" that.

Big update yesterday took forever to install and restart ("this will only take a few minutes" my Aunt Nelly).

Went to bed disappointed, was faster but still wouldn't load other browsers and LinkedIn...this morning all is functional again.

My Windows 10 strategy is my one with Home version will be the guinea pig for updates. I can delay them on the machine with Pro. Unfortunately, we use 10 at work and having it at home makes sense for work stuff. Maybe you could delay updates until MS works out some of the issues they cause?

Most of time using a 12 year old Think Pad running Ubuntu. You don't need a powerful computer when the operating system gives you the power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back