Stupid browser problems win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing two clean installs because my machine was being dragged to an absolute halt (three finger salute Ctrl Alt Del would take 5 minutes to action), I found that Chrome does something after a while that has it running 100% disk capacity.

Switched to Edge, and all sort of OK, confirmed that Chrome locked the machine up, uninstall Chrome, no difference...has to be a clean Win 10 install to make it work.

Last few days (maybe since last win 10 update) noted that the keystrokes on edge were laggy, my typing being 3-4 words faster than the machine.

Yesterday, problems...
first symptom was that the new feed the shows up in new window wasn't there (actually happy with that).
Then tried LinkedIn, and it just sat there with the linkedin logo, flashed off, flashed on, then came up with this in the browser address bar. (with the http stuff at the front)...then the window closes.
msn.com/spartan/ntp?locale=en-US&market=AU&enableregulatorypsm=0&enablecpsm=0&ishostisolationenforced=0&targetexperience=default

I can get google.com. and obviously BITOG. Sites with a pdf are sketchy, linkedin is broken with it.

Disabled news feed in Edge settings, and it still goes looking for msn before it does anything.

So I tried Chrome - wouldn't load, windows "suspends" and kills it watching Task Manager
So I tried Firefox - windows "suspends" and kills it watching Task Manager
Opera - Same
An old version of Safari is semi functional

Can search on the code I posted, and can see that many have had problems with it...but click on them to go there, and the screen hangs and does the msn thing before crashing.

After the last W10 update I had the same issues.
Screen went blank on reboot and attempts at auto repair failed.
I got lucky with a reset and all is well. My issues all were from the updates.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Last few days (maybe since last win 10 update) noted that the keystrokes on edge were laggy, my typing being 3-4 words faster than the machine.

Sounds like it's more than a browser issue since any browser you have tried isn't performing well. Is if possible to go back and do a restore to a point before the last updates?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Sounds like it's more than a browser issue since any browser you have tried isn't performing well. Is if possible to go back and do a restore to a point before the last updates?

I tried that a few times and the restore function failed and forced a reset.

Are you doing stuff that absolutely requires windows, like gaming? Might be a good time to switch to Linux. I'm using the Brave browser personally, but I'm also using a Mac.

Daughter, who was inside the tech biz in SoCal for 8 years, was just telling me the last Win 10 update that was pushed onto everyone really bogged things down. My laptop was slower than slow dial-up and was having some of Shannow's problems and I lost both wifi and wired connectivity with my printer. Took her 30 minutes of thrashing to get printer going again, no idea what she did. Running Ccleaner improved it a bit but she says this machine (Dell Inspiron) is just getting old. She's going to delete all unused stuff and limit start-ups but says a new PC is in our future. Mostly use Firefox, Chrome some, Edge never. Only used for surfing and the occasional Youtube vid, never any games or videos. Thanks Microsoft.

The machine that I have which MUST be W10 is terrible. W10 is marginally faster to boot and do certain things, but others are a real drag, unstable, and generally a worse overall experience. File and especially PST email indexing went from excellent to poor.

Mine hangs like mad at startup. I have edge, IE and firefox installed.

Originally Posted by Zee09

It wouldn't let you go back to a previous "restore point"? Every time Windows does and update it also creates a restore point in case something gets honked up with the update.

I had the same issue on two laptops. The easy answer is to install an SSD. Laptop mechanical drives seem to wear out to the point where there are so many errors on the discs that they crawl to a standstill.. Get a cheap SSD and install it. You should be good to go.

Originally Posted by Danno
Just to check, did you sector level reformat the hard drive before reinstalling W10?

No, the "clean" install option in security and updates....it got Chrome working lightning fast both times.

Originally Posted by Zee09

It wouldn't let you go back to a previous "restore point"? Every time Windows does and update it also creates a restore point in case something gets honked up with the update.

Yes it wouldn't. It failed three times. Gave notice of such. After the reset it is perfect now. I guess for now I should say.

I something still filling your Task Manager, like 100% usage somewhere? I notice on the Windows box at work, things get very laggy for a short while because every software package in Windows likes to check for updates all at once at startup. Overkill may have the right idea, though.

My new Win 10 computer now working correctly, unless the next update messes it up again.
Issues were random reboots, which is another common issue if you google it. Tech support tried everything.

Got this computer last Christmas, fastest computer I ever owned - LOVE IT and also the first time in DECADES I actually needed to send a computer in for warranty, screwed up Win 10 issues/AMD A-12 issues all most likely caused by messed up drivers or whatever.

They replaced the processor and I think they were right and I think it was cooking after some Windows "run on" cant remember the details but it smelled like something was burning!, it was 6 months ago. But after I got it back, it rebooted a few weeks later, on its own 2 times one week.
Once again, I wiped the Harddrive and installed a fresh copy of Win10 ... that was months ago, no longer any reboots. I have no faith in this computer though, once in a great while I hear a quick soft "click" in the speakers and that is when it used to reboot, however it doesnt anymore.

Im tired of the freaking ENDLESS Windows updates, seems like whenever we use 1 of 4 computers in our house, one is always updating to something and it takes forever at times.
For the first time, I really am becoming a Windows hater, been computing since 1995 and I never felt this way before.
[censored] tech companies looking to control every aspect of our lives and invade every possible privacy to sell our information leaving us no options but to accept.

I WISH to GOD Windows would come out with a "lite" version.
So I can do my computing, upload my photos, ya da ya da ... and not have all this crap like active desk top, and well, active everything, sick of it but there is no alternative that is simple and easy.

PLEASE DO NOT MENTION CHROME, Im WAY more anti Google then I am Microsoft. Google is your pimp and people just sell their bodies for free programs.
It freaking amazes me! I am waiting for the day, someone in the tech field develops an operating system "for the people" unhinged from privacy invading tech companies and unhinged from be forced to accept programs and active "desktops" when none are wanting. More or less free to delete any program we want.

Let me pay my way, give me a rock solid operating system capable of doing everything without all the crap and I WILL GLADLY PAY FOR IT. (after a free trial :eek:)

So ends todays rant :eek:)

Last edited:
Time for a new computer. I like Chrome because it integrates with all my stuff and you can cast from it. Mine shows it using about 300 mb of memory with 1 tab open, so I doubt a RAM upgrade would take care of anything that an SSD wouldn't if the hardware is old. I mean if you had $100 to spend on something. Or you could have a virus. Maybe.

Something else I thought of: if your computer is overheating, the processor(s) will slow themselves down to prevent damage. You can usually set a target cooling range/usage somewhere. Replacing thermal paste is easy on some computers, but not all. I've done it a couple times on Playstations and laptops and it made a big difference in both the temps and the fan speed.

Originally Posted by onetwoothreee
Time for a new computer. I like Chrome because it integrates with all my stuff and you can cast from it. Mine shows it using about 300 mb of memory with 1 tab open, so I doubt a RAM upgrade would take care of anything that an SSD wouldn't if the hardware is old. I mean if you had $100 to spend on something. Or you could have a virus. Maybe.

Or, he can spend no money and just install Linux on it and get rid of the problem, which in this case, appears to be Windows 10. It's why I can still buy Windows 7 computers from HP, DELL and Lenovo, it's an option on all the business-grade computer lines still because Windows 10 and its moving target is difficult to deal with and some orgs just don't want to go down that rabbit hole yet.

Win 10 hogs a huge amount of memory so it may be that your machine is being consumed by 10. It also interferes with other browsers (on purpose?). I still have a Win 7 laptop that when I use cc cleaner, it's always a small amt of MB's that are removed. I've got a new Win 10 laptop that when I use cc cleaner, it has hundreds of MB's and even several gigs to get rid of.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
It's why I can still buy Windows 7 computers from HP, DELL and Lenovo ...

I'm still running Windows 7 and love it. Might even just keep using it after Microsoft's support ends. I mean how security patches have already been done, and how many real vulnerabilities still exist with Win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back