Stuck license plate screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's a revolting development. Bought the Pilot in March, dealer swapped plates and put some awful phillips screws on the rear plate in all 4 locations, apparently made out of something guaranteed to corrode quickly
mad.gif
. Today I had to put new stickers on, which means taking the plate off and out of the plastic frame. The two top screws came out without too much fuss, the bottom ones steadfastly refused. Doused with PB Blaster, waited and waited, and couldn't budge them with a screwdriver. Even tried tapping them out with the impact driver, no go. Finally broke the plastic frame out from underneath them and tried the Vice Grips. The heads sheared off
shocked.gif
. So, I got the plate reattached with the upper ones (used anti-seize this time), but the nubs of the lower ones are still sticking out. Now what? Keep dousing with Blaster, heat the tip with the propane torch? Drill them out? Thankfully they are these small blocks welded to the body so they stick out from the tailgate a bit, which would make it considerably easier to heat the remaining screws with the torch. I suppose I could just not worry about it, although having the plate rattle when the tailgate is shut is annoying.

I think Autozone has stainless steel license plates screws. What does the plastic frame do, advertise where you bought your vehicle at?
The dealer where my wife bought her Audi at said free car washes for life as long as you keep the dealer license plate frame on the rear.

In states where salt exist in winter driving, I use no plate covers and grease my plate bolts with gun grease.

When the bottom-2 bolts were found to be stuck, I would have drove to the dealer - blamed the incident on them and had the-2 removed.

I had the same issue and was able to get at them from behind, inside the trunk
There was enough of the threads to grip with a small vice grips and very slowly tighten and loosen w lots of penetrating oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
There was enough of the threads to grip with a small vice grips and very slowly tighten and loosen w lots of penetrating oil

Either that or glue some felt to them so it doesn't rattle.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Ah, good tip. I popped off the little panel that lets you get to the tailgate latch mechanism, and I can see the other end of the screws. I doused that side with Blaster too, hopefully it will help.

That happened to me once, had to drill the screws out. Didn't have a drill either. Had to be cordless as it was outside. So off to Home Depot I went. The salesman was trying to help me pick a drill, didn't really want to tell him it was just to drill out a couple screws on the car so I could get the plate off that night as it was getting towed in the morning. Spent $100 on the drill. I did end up using it for a few years, I might even still have it somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
That happened to me once, had to drill the screws out. Didn't have a drill either.

lol.gif
Wow, that's like the worst story I've heard on here.

Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee
That happened to me once, had to drill the screws out. Didn't have a drill either.

lol.gif

Really? I thought there were a lot more worse stories on here. Salesman was asking me stuff like what I was planning on using the drill for. I just said for stuff around the house. Just had to be cordless with a decent battery. I had just spent 10k on a replacement car so I had to get the old plate off to put on the new car and get the old car towed away.

Fixed it. Found a 6x1.0 mm tap and drill set at Lowe's for $7. Chased the holes with the tap, coated the screws with anti-seize, and they fit perfectly. Might hit the auto parts store and look for some stainless screws to see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee

lol.gif

Salesman was asking me stuff like what I was planning on using the drill for. I just said for stuff around the house.

I'd have leaned in close and looked back and forth then whispered , ny neighbor is going out of town this weekend, i'm going to drill the heckll out of his safe!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back