2010 Silverado front brake work

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by ls973800
Although as mentioned that screw hole can be used with the proper bolts to remove the rotor, that is not the true function of them. They are there to hold the rotor on while the vehicle is moving down the assembly line while it is being built. Until the wheels and tires are put on with the lug nuts, there is a real chance of the rotor coming off.

Interestingly I have been reading up on these screws because my previous cars didn't have any from the factory. The Honda Pilot I have does have them. They look like a Phillips head screw but I have found out they are actually a JIS screw head. Japanese Industrial Screw (JIS) #3. Supposedly a Phillips may work sometimes but you are better off using the JIS bit. That is what the screw head was designed for and a much better fit than a phillips bit. supposedly a JIS bit will work well on a phillips screw head, but a phillips will not work well on a JIS screw head.

I purchased a kit with #1, #2, and #3 bits along with a few others from Amazon for this job when I have to do it, and just to have some on hand. This kit was $14.50 a few weeks ago when I purchased it.

JIS Screw bits

Why a JIS in an American made truck?

Have no idea, perhaps something to do with Japan supplying some parts to the facility in Alabama?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
After we drilled the tapered head of the Torx 30 screw, we knocked the disc off and the remaining section of the screw was protruding from the flange. We used vice grips to unscrew it. Here is a photo of it after it's removal. (Shown in the reverse direction).

All in all , could have turned out much worse . At least you were able to remove the screw with vice grips .

Never heard of those screws , until I started to watch Wheeler Dealers , early episode . Thought it might be a European " thing " ?

But , a year or two ago , my late cousin and I did pad swap on his 2005 Lacrosse & it had these screws . So our 2006 Lacrosse most likely has them too . Which only has ~ 55,000 miles on it & have not touched the brakes on it .

Love the Buick Lacrosse !

Back