stuck brake caliper help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced my rear brake pads and rotors on my safari yesterday, and the first time around the block, it came back smoking. So I'm on my way now to get a new caliper but I need some advice on what to do with the rotors? I'll lightly sand the pads to get the glaze off. When I was clamping the caliper back in, it was tough at first but then smooth, so I didn't think anything else about it. Here's a pic of the rotor and one of the pads.

Did you back the caliper piston out to install the new pads? If you could back it out it shouldn't be seized in place in my experience. Are the slider pins greased and moving easily? You should be able to wiggle the caliper when it's mounted to make sure it can slide around.

I agree with chase. If you can push them back in, I haven't found them to stick either. The pins must be lubed and sliding freely. Normally around here with the rust I would be doing calipers with that amount of mileage. Also how did the pads fit? Did they slide in easily? Or did you have to hit them in with a hammer. Hopefully the caliper he gets will have a new Abutment bracket so you will not have to worry about these issue again. john

I just got back from advance auto, I did grease the slide pins but there was rust inside when I slid them out, so I imagine it wasn't in the best of shape. The caliper I got came with a new bracket, hardware, and everything, so I guess well see. Do I need to worry about the rotor? Maybe sand it a little?

Originally Posted By: justinf89
I just got back from advance auto, I did grease the slide pins but there was rust inside when I slid them out, so I imagine it wasn't in the best of shape. The caliper I got came with a new bracket, hardware, and everything, so I guess well see. Do I need to worry about the rotor? Maybe sand it a little?
Yes, You should sand the rotor with 150 grit sand paper. Not to smooth the rotor, but to remove the pad material from it. I would also replace the pads. You no doubt have cooked them on that wheel position. Also, you say that you are replacing just one caliper? I would replace them in pairs. My two cents, Jim

I keep hearing that you bought one caliper. Make sure you replace the pair. Sand the rotor lightly. It may still end up being trashed early, but you can at least try.

Ok well I did sand the rotor, and here is the finished job. I lightly sanded the pads and they look like new. There wasn't much gunk built up on them but if they don't act right, I'll replace them. I was going to get another caliper but they only had one in stock with the bracket. I plan to replace the brake fluid down the road so I think I'll do it then. Now my question is, after replacing just the one caliper, do I need to just bleed that one or do I have to bleed all the calipers? I appreciate the quick help guys.

Ok great. Now I just have to wait for somebody to help me bleed it haha. I jut got the el chepo wearever rotors and pads and a fenco caliper. It's what I had on there before for the pads and I was very pleased with them. I also don't expect the van to last forever so I don't want to put much in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.