Strut/strut mount replacement questions

I’ve been noticing a slight, intermittent, ”groan” in the front end of my 2015 Ford Fusion. The dealer thinks it’s the strut mounts. That doesn’t seem unreasonable given the fact that the car has 80k on the odometer. I’m wondering if I should go ahead and replace the struts as well given the labor to change just the mounts compared to the struts as well. The dealer quoted me +/- $800 for Motorcraft struts, springs, and mounts with a 2 year warranty. Tire Discounters quoted me +/- $1,1000 for Monroe quick struts, camber bolts, and an alignment with a lifetime warranty. I usually don’t keep a vehicle past 170k miles. I’m not sure if I should replace everything or not and which way to go as far as who to have do the work. As always, thanks in advance for any help!

New struts shouldnt need camber bolts. Depending on how much you drive the car Id go ahead and replace the struts. Mine needed replaced at 130k, but then again I hit a set of train tracks doing 45mph trying to get away from a tornado in Indiana.

They've got to remove the struts and disassemble them to replace the mounts so I'm assuming the cost will be the same or more in comparison to replacing the struts as a unit as far as labor is concerned. Honestly it's up to you if you want to pay for new struts, but at 80k miles you should notice an improvement in ride and handling by replacing them.

At 80k you should have some decent life in them yet, but you’re about half way done with ownership too.

If I was to keep the car longer, I’d do just the mounts. In your case and since you’re about half way there, I’d just do everything with Ford parts and hope it holds up long enough for you to sell it.

I’ve been noticing a slight, intermittent, ”groan” in the front end of my 2015 Ford Fusion. The dealer thinks it’s the strut mounts. That doesn’t seem unreasonable given the fact that the car has 80k on the odometer. I’m wondering if I should go ahead and replace the struts as well given the labor to change just the mounts compared to the struts as well. The dealer quoted me +/- $800 for Motorcraft struts, springs, and mounts with a 2 year warranty. Tire Discounters quoted me +/- $1,1000 for Monroe quick struts, camber bolts, and an alignment with a lifetime warranty. I usually don’t keep a vehicle past 170k miles. I’m not sure if I should replace everything or not and which way to go as far as who to have do the work. As always, thanks in advance for any help!

Go with the Motorcraft strut and spring set up from the dealer and forget the Monroe, they use a very generic spring. Yes it works but the ride hight is often way off so it is very possible you would need camber bolts and the mounts are crap. Then comes the question of the quality of the work, you have a better chance getting a real mechanic doing the work at the dealer than a tire place.
OE is the closest you can get to when the car was new and depending on the roads 80K is a good run out of the originals.

With only 80k, you're better off with the OEM Motorcraft parts.

While Ford is selling Motorcraft quick struts with all OE parts, they're not yet available for your Fusion.

I've never been impressed with Monroe branded quick struts. I'm sure they have multiple lines and maybe their top offering is good. Personally I would just do the mounts with Ford parts since you will likely only have the car 5 or so more years before replacing it.

If you prefer to go with loaded struts I'd go with the Motorcraft over the Monroe. Also Motorcraft shocks and struts have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/...tyDocuments/PartsLimitedWarrantyStatement.pdf

With only 80k, you're better off with the OEM Motorcraft parts.

While Ford is selling Motorcraft quick struts with all OE parts, they're not yet available for your Fusion.
Why aren't they? It's so annoying. There are like a million Fusions. Only Monroe has the quick strut. I want a kyb it motor crafts lol

Why aren't they? It's so annoying. There are like a million Fusions. Only Monroe has the quick strut. I want a kyb it motor crafts lol

I agree! The oldest Fusions (and MKZ's) of this generation, 2013, are old enough and have enough miles to need new struts.

Back