Strut Lubrication

It makes Scotty Kilmer Richer because it's an excuse to make another youtube video. WD40 is not a lubricant for the rubber mount parts of a strut or shock.
+1 And WD-40 is not really a lubricant. It is until i evaporates in a day or so. Strut bearings come greased. What part of the strut needs lubrication?

I use a tiny dab of anti-seize on the strut center nut, to make it easier to tighten and come off later.

The struts I’ve installed have sealed bearings so I’m not sure what Scotty means by lubrication. One of my vehicles is heavily oil sprayed which causes winter sand and dirt to stick to the strut and areas including the tower causing squeaks. Every spring I pressure spray the strut and tower to get rid of the oil to get rid of the squeaks. So im not sure lubing that area is a good idea

Scotty Kilmer recommends spraying the top of struts with WD40or other lubrication. Is it legit and what does it do? Stay safe
He probably thinks spraying the strut mounts where it's usually made of rubber with ATP AT-205 will make the rubber mount last longer

In fact he made a video on it spraying all sorts of rubber suspension bushings with it.

The only strut lubrication I can think of is the bump stop

There's several TSBs on squeaks/clunks from the jounce bumper/bump stop on a MacPherson strut sliding on the strut rod itself

A smear of PTFE/Silicone paste seems to cure it

I think spraying them with some sort of lube will quieten them down for a while but that's it. If the strut mount, coil isolator, control arm bushing are done then they need replacing.

+1 And WD-40 is not really a lubricant. It is until i evaporates in a day or so. Strut bearings come greased. What part of the strut needs lubrication?

I use a tiny dab of anti-seize on the strut center nut, to make it easier to tighten and come off later.
that's what I do too !

Without subjecting myself to a Scotty Kilmer video, is there any chance he was speaking about wiping down the surface of the piston?

On servocylinders and exposed struts, these areas are commonly wiped with hydraulic oil.

Oil gives dust something to stick to and drag into the seals. I would only do it if the cleanliness and use case calls for it.

WD-40 has some of the best marketing out there. They convinced millions of people that there product makes a good lubricant.

Back