Strange issue with a Toyota 2.7.

I've got a 2015 Toyota Tacoma, with a 2.7 4 cylinder.

So far on really cold days I have a very odd issue. On cold startup, it acts as though the oil pump loses prime. I will get pressure for a second and then the lifters will collapse and the oil light will turn on.

Blip the throttle or give it a little longer and it will pick back up. It only ever does this below zero, and usually around 20 below.

Currently I'm running a fleet farm special 0w-20 synthetic, and a fram ultra 3600 (a larger variant for improved capacity)

Any idea on what would cause this? It's perfectly fine on warmer days

Why are you running a larger than stock oil filter?

I used to do this when I had my Jeep XJ...but my mind has changed...

You should do some Google searching on this...

I am comfortable running the larger oil filter in this application, and have seen it done many times.
The oe filter was a 3614, and I'm running a 3600. Many shops used to use them interchangeably, and I'm sure they still do.

I ran it this time, because it was available, and the 3614 in the ultra wasn't. I like to run them because it makes my oil change just a little bit easier when I can't find a lift. Volumetric difference between the two is less than a quarter of a quart, not like running an 8 in place of the 16 on that xj.

Spec wise they both have the same bypass pressure, an anti drain back valve, and base dimensions that are identical to 2 decimal points.

Plus it's fine 99.5% of the time

I have no problem running the 3614, but I really can't see it being an issue

Almost sounds like the filters anti drain back valve is not sealing, which could result in what you are noticing. There would be oil at the pump when started but, once the initial pressure pulse is gone, then you are pushing air until the oil gallies fill up and pressure returns. Just a wild guess. I sure don't agree with using over size filters, because if the filter drains, then there is the additional time it takes to refill the filter. JMO. Ed

The filter in this engine is vertical with the open end up so drainback will not be an issue, nor will using the slighly larger filter. I have a 2020 Tacoma with this engine and the OP has the same engine in his 2015 Tacoma.

If it were my car having this issue, I would first change the oil using M1 0w-20 or something similar and use the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 filter to see if that corrected the problem. If not, then drop the pan to check the oil pump.

Last edited:
The larger filter is taking too long to fill. Had the same problem with our FJ. I went back to the small filter and it stopped rattling. I think it's either the vvt or timing chain.

ADB valve is a good call here. The column of oil above it doesn’t care what the filters orientation is. Horizontal could let some drain from the filter, but vertical would still let oil in passages past it drain back. I’m not solidly convinced thats what this is, but just pointing out this shouldn’t be excluded.

The filter in this engine is vertical with the open end up so drainback will not be an issue, nor will using the slighly larger filter. I have a 2020 Tacoma with this engine and the OP has the same engine in his 2015 Tacoma.

If it were my car having this issue, I would first change the oil using M1 0w-20 or something similar and use the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 filter to see if that corrected the problem. If not, then drop the pan to check the oil pump.
The filter being vertical doesn't matter, While drainback won't empty the filter....The circuits above the filter will drainback with a faulty ADV.

The filter being vertical doesn't matter, While drainback won't empty the filter....The circuits above the filter will drainback with a faulty ADV.
Yup - on my L83 it’s a full quart - and a PF63 don’t hold that

I wold agree the first thing I would try is putting a Toyota oil filter on it.
The correct part number is 90915-YZZG2
The YZZD3 listed above is NOT the correct part number.

Back