Strange Chainsaw problem, Gas tank shrunk ?

I have a 16" Poulan pro saw that has been great for our needs for about 6 years. However going to use it today I had great difficulty removing the gas cap, and once removed it won't go back !
It looks for all the world like the neck of the tank has shrunk !
Is this possible? The saw has not been used for about 6 months

It looks for all the world like the neck of the tank has shrunk !
Is this possible? The saw has not been used for about 6 months
No...it is a widely documented fact that the Poulan chainsaw gas caps swell up after a few years of exposure to 2-stroke fuel, especially if using any ethanol blend. The temporary solution is to buy a new replacement gas cap. Supposedly, the swollen gas cap will shrink back to normal size if you leave it out in the sun for several days to allow the volatile solvents to evaporate out of the plastic. I haven't tried that since I threw the old cap away.

Poulan Gas Cap Swells

No...it is a widely documented fact that the Poulan chainsaw gas caps swell up after a few years of exposure to 2-stroke fuel, especially if using any ethanol blend. The temporary solution is to buy a new replacement gas cap. Supposedly, the swollen gas cap will shrink back to normal size if you leave it out in the sun for several days to allow the volatile solvents to evaporate out of the plastic. I haven't tried that since I threw the old cap away.

Poulan Gas Cap Swells
Who would think to design a gas cap that could be in contact with volatile solvents???? Good info to know though.

Thank you Nukeman I have ordered new caps via Amazon and will see if this is the answer. I can confirm that this is indeed a common problem, but When I contacted Poulan customer support they knew nothing about it !

The most surprising thing about all of this is that Poulan even has customer support.

Yes, and it was a bit strange. It was the usual on line chat Q and A, I posed the problem at about 8pm PT and got a reply via an email notification in 15 minutes. This appeared to be a real person, they suggested switching gas and oil caps, but on my model they are different sizes. Each question by me generated a reply that I was notified of by email. My last response was 11pm and I woke this morning at 6am and had received a reply. I responded to this and got another reply (suggesting I take the saw to a service centre) within minutes. Do these people not sleep ?

Yes, and it was a bit strange. It was the usual on line chat Q and A, I posed the problem at about 8pm PT and got a reply via an email notification in 15 minutes. This appeared to be a real person, they suggested switching gas and oil caps, but on my model they are different sizes. Each question by me generated a reply that I was notified of by email. My last response was 11pm and I woke this morning at 6am and had received a reply. I responded to this and got another reply (suggesting I take the saw to a service centre) within minutes. Do these people not sleep ?
They probably go to a generic call center over seas. Probably don't even know what a chain saw is and just follow an instruction sheet

I had this same problem when I owned a Poulan 16" saw. The cap issue was a total PITA but nothing that a ViseGrip couldn't handle. You need to have an extra cap or two on hand, so one can recover from the chemicals while another is being used. AFAIK no aftermarket caps are available that work better.

I also have nothing constructive to add other than that is why I pick my brands wisely. Echo / Maruyama / Shindaiwa / and lastly Sweden made Husky. Nothing else.

Same problems here with the Pullin junk saws. Even a replacement cap that barely screwed at first needs pliers to remove it now.
There is a reason they are named Pullin. Its must be that nice compatible plastic from some overseas manufacture. Never had this problem with saws from the 60's.

Back