STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner

I just let the ethanol in our gas do the work of cleaning. No need for anything extra and I’ve never had a fuel system issue.

Stp products are good….”.

That’s your story.

Here’s my story;

in the 1970’s we had a customer with nice Lincoln he’d had since it was new. a ‘66 with well over 100,000 trouble free miles. He did his own oil changes.

He bought the car into our shop complaining that the dipstick was showing full, but he had not added the usual amount of oil. And over the past 3-4 years the car has been holding less and less oil.

After verifying he was not a nut case we dropped the oil pan. There was about an inch and half hard clear-ish crystalline substance covering the whole bottom of the oil pan except right around the oil pick-up tube.

The customer was shown this before we chiseled it out. He said his neighbor was a chemist at the Phillips Petroleum Research Center which is in our town / small city. (It’s still here, but now it’s the Conoco-Phillips-Chevron Research Center.) He took a sample to the neighbor to get the low down.

The report came back to us that the chemist neighbor took one look at the sample piece and laughed, saying, “I don’t need the lab to ID this. It’s STP oil treatment after about 100,000 miles of using it…”

The customer was a tightwad, so we believe it when it said he’ll used only one can of the STP with every oil change.

I don’t pretend to explain it or understand what caused the SPT to get like that . I just saw it and that’s all I know. Except that I won’t use it.

Last edited:
I have used the 5 in 1 complete fuel system cleaner and it was okay. My to go fuel system cleaners are: Redline, 44K, Regane, and Techron.

The report came back to us that the chemist neighbor took one look at the sample piece and laughed, saying, “I don’t need the lab to ID this. It’s STP oil treatment after about 100,000 miles of using it…
Oil treatment did this, how about stp fuel additives?

Any horror stories?

Oil treatment did this, how about stp fuel additives?

Any horror stories?

The only fuel additive I use now is the Techron Full Fuel System Cleaner. And then only a maximum of twice per oil change as recommended by the Techron instructions.

I have tried octane boosters of various brands in the past on high compression vintage cars.

They are a waste of $$$ and invariably leave a nasty reddish-orange residue on every surface they touch. Cleaning that off worse than the cost.

Additionally, the ones that advertise raising the octane by 5 points, etc are misleading. The fine print points out that “5 points” will raise x amount of gallons of gasoline 0.5 octane, not a 5.0 number increase.

No. I discount any product with a nominal amount of PEA. Its there for marketing purposes. For your money you get about 1% pea ...stick with redline or Techron. The other ingredient, PIBA, which it has more of, is only a nonionic surfactant. A mild cleaner.
where did you get this information???...

also even if it was only 1% that is more than zero...in any event it does contain PEA but probably not as much as you'd like...which wasn't the question asked but may still be helpful

The only fuel additive I use now is the Techron Full Fuel System Cleaner. And then only a maximum of twice per oil change as recommended by the Techron instructions.

I have tried octane boosters of various brands in the past on high compression vintage cars.

They are a waste of $$$ and invariably leave a nasty reddish-orange residue on every surface they touch. Cleaning that off worse than the cost.

Additionally, the ones that advertise raising the octane by 5 points, etc are misleading. The fine print points out that “5 points” will raise x amount of gallons of gasoline 0.5 octane, not a 5.0 number increase.
Yes that’s right, every 3,000 or 2x yr is recommended which I do each oil change every 6 months for me. Neither of my vehicles are direct injection so I don’t require any fuel treatment/additives intended for that use and neither vehicle needs higher than 87 octane so octane boosters would also not suit my needs. Used to buy chevron especially when you could get the bogo but now just buy stp or super tech, O’Reillys red bottle the equivalent to the STP product.

I t appears like Techron they changed the formula. Techron was 30 but now is 25. STP appears to also changed it's formula. The prob with the net is doesn't clean out old info, so both are out there for STP
For me I only use redline and techron with bogos it seams Techron. Come out to about .80 cents an oz. On a per oz of PEA basis the bogo sale is 90% cheaper...I haven't seen a redline BOGO...waiting.
I even created a hose device to suck a bottle of Techron into the manifold of my GDI engine to clean the valves. vs expensive lower dose spray cans which contains less pea.

Last edited:
Back