STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner

The common recommendation here is to use a cleaner with PEA. Not sure if the STP cleaner has this ingredient or not???

I use Lucas Deep Clean

STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner does not list PEA as a substance on the safety data sheet. It does list three kinds of kerosene, napthalene and various petroleum distillates. Solvent based cleanere work too though.

Gumout with Regane (PEA) or the All-In-One
Or Redline SI-1.
MAYBE Royal Purple MaxClean (costs a lot, like SI-1.)

Don't even bother with anything else.

When I looked into it, Redline offered the biggest one-shot dose of PEA, although not at a low price.

Maybe the most cost effective thing is to get a multi-pack of Techron and run it through successive tanks of gas.

Some of these fuel system cleaners are heavy on naphtha more than PEA. Not necessarily horrible, but I wouldn’t pay much money for it.
The version of STP I used had a token (5%) amount of PEA in it.

I have had good to great results using Royal Purple Max Clean. I like the fact that it can be used in a gas or diesel engine, good for up to 10,000 miles, and treats up to 20 gallons of fuel at a time. I was a big Seafoam fan before using this stuff.

I find it strange that people perceive this as being an expensive product yet some will be spending more buying multiple bottles of whatever product to use over the course of the 10,000 miles RP Max Clean is rated for.

The Lucas Deep Clean has the same concentration of PEA listed as the Gumout All-In-One. However the Lucas bottle is 16 ounces vs the Gumout is 10 ounces or 6 ounces. Either will do the same thing.

What's PEA?

attached STP bottle photos

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_144021.jpg
    IMG_20200316_144021.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 114
PEA is polyetheramine, a detergent compound trademarked as Techron. It is used in many fuel system cleaners and is also a gasoline additive.

From STP's website:

"Today’s engines can form harsh deposits that can lead to reduced performance and efficiency. Use STP® Complete Fuel System Cleaner with our propriety blend of PEA and PIBA detergents to remove harmful deposits and more."

The last time I got gas, it was at a Rutters, which is a chain here in Pennsylvania (maybe other nearby states also, but never seen it anywhere but Pa.) Rutters recently became a Top Tier fuel. When I filled up the other day I noticed on the pump that it said something about the fuel system cleaner being STP. I have never seen that before on any gas pump.

STP ultra is just kerosene and naptha no PEA
Redline s1is up to 28-34% PEA
Techron was 30% is now 25%
Lucas deep clean 10-30%
CRC GDI IVD 10-20%
Royal Purple Max 15%
Berryman 2611 6-10%
Gumout multi system tune up 5-10
Gumout Regane 1%

This is the SDS for STP Utra NO PEA or detergents. No PEA in complete either
2.2.1.7- Hazardous ingredients for labelling Distillates (petroleum), hydrodesulfurized middle,
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light, Distil-
lates (petroleum), hydrodesulfurized light catalytic
cracked, Kerosene
2.3 Other hazards
Hazards not otherwise classified
May be harmful in contact with skin (GHS category 5: acutely toxic - dermal).
Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects (GHS category 2: aquatic toxicity - acute and/or chronic).
Results of PBT and vPvB assessment
This mixture does not contain any substances that are assessed to be a PBT or a vPvB.
SECTION 3: Composition/information on ingredients
3.1 Substances
Not relevant (mixture)
3.2 Mixtures
Description of the mixture
Name of substance Identifier Wt% Classification acc. to GHS Pictograms
Distillates (petroleum), hy-
drotreated light
CAS No
64742-47-8
25 –  H331
STOT SE 3 / H336