STP, AC or Purolator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which out of these would you guys recommend? STP, AC Delco or the Purolator PureOne. This is for a Honda Prelude which runs at very high rpms. The OEM filter apparently is being made by Fram now
rolleyes.gif
and I'm looking for alternatives. The one thing the OEM filter has is eight inlet holes, is that big requirement? Afaik I don't think the above mentioned filters have so many inlets.
confused.gif
Any input on will be apreciated.
smile.gif
Tnx.
Oh and up here in Canada we can't get the STP or Purolator but I have a friend going to Buffao this week and she will pick some up for me. Where should she go, Autozone?

Some thoughts--I don't have any answers...

1. The original MiniMopar study was almost as critical about Champion Labs filters as Frams. Lots of that was deleted because of legal threats by Champion, but the author complained that Champion filters had flimsy filtering material and rusty end plates. I do remember rust on some early Champion Labs filters (no longer rusty), but now use a SuperTech which is identical (I think) to the STP and like it just fine. The paper expert that used to hang out on Edmunds stated that SuperTech filters had high quality media.

2. Not all AC filters are made by GM. I think that they outsource some filters for non-GM use.

3. I also think some of the filter construction reports have faulted Purolator because the string can deform the filtering element.

ANY of these filters would be far superior to the Honda/Fram unit, but probably not as good as the U.S. Honda oem filter.

Quick_Lude,

As I've told Patman before, visit WalMart Square One between 12PM - 8PM. They have a "Performance" counter right beside the service counter in Automotive. The guy sells Purolator PremiumPlus and PureOne filters. PremiumPlus was around $7CDN and PureOne around $11CDN for my ex-Integra.

Regards,

Oz

Actually the Honda USA OEM filter was found to be of worst quality than Canada and Japan. Look at this study. http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Apparently Honda has since streamlined production and all filters are made in Canada by Fram. I haven't actually opened one up to see how it is but hey.. Fram..
rolleyes.gif

The STP in this study only has 5 inlet holes compared to 8.. I'm also not crazy about the Purolator string around the element..
confused.gif

[ August 10, 2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

You can get wrapped up in which filter is best at efficiency but there are some general guidelines.

If a filter says it is all synthetic media (mobil 1)

Or is partially synthetic (supertek, Bosch premium) then it will filter finer particles with little reduction in flow.

I worry about filters that attain high efficiency with conventional media (paper, cellulose). Thicker media just seems like it will restrict flow at some point

Well my main concern is quality, filtration and the ability to perform well under high load, ie 4-7,600K Rpm. That's the range my engine spends a lot of time in.

Yep, I went to Square One the other day and bought a Purolator L14459 for my wife's Honda.
It was just over $8 with tax. This is the same filter your car uses as well. I think this filter
is your best bet, as it has great filtration (96% efficient in the multipass, and 99% efficient
in single pass for 10-20 micron particles) This filter is not quite as good as the PureONE but
for high rpm use I believe it will go into bypass less often.

The CDN AC Delco filters are made by Dana (makers of Wix) in Cambridge, ON.

So no concerns regarding that string around the filter element? How much could I get this filter for in the US and where?
Regarding the Purolator in Canada, is the Square One Walmart the only one carrying them or can I order one at the one in Brampton?

I don't think the string is a concern, from what I understand it has no effect on how the filter works. You won't be able to get the Purolators from Brampton (or any other) Walmarts, as
the one at Square One is a store within a store, and is independant of Walmart.

In the US these are available in lots of places, but you won't save any money really as they aren't much cheaper than here, plus you pay in US dollars.

I buy the Purolator filter at Meijer, spend right around $5, so it is about the same price as in Canada. They have a list of retailers at their website.

It also depends on the size too, as the filter for my wife's Honda was $6.99 at one store I bought it from (the hardware store which doesn't carry too much selection) but the filter for my Firebird was only $4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back