Storing small engines for the winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a 30 gallon drum to buy my gas and store it at my property. I go thru about 3 drums a year. It is always pre-treated with a stabilizer product so I never actually put any in the lawn mower, gator, portable generator, etc for storage. And since most of my stuff gets started occasionally and used during the winter months, I don't drain them, fog the motor, etc. Haven't had a fuel related issue with any of them for years.

I had an issue with my snowblower starting after letting it sit with stabilizer in the tank. Had to drain the carb and clean the jet. Honestly, I may not have run it through enough after adding the stabilizer to it and it could've been my fault. Either way, I now try to run my engines dry in my mower and snowblower when they are stored for the season.

Last tank of the season gets stabil, and tcw 640:1 added to fuel.

First start up gets some berryman b-12 added to the tank of fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ThirdeYe
I had an issue with my snowblower starting after letting it sit with stabilizer in the tank. Had to drain the carb and clean the jet. Honestly, I may not have run it through enough after adding the stabilizer to it and it could've been my fault. Either way, I now try to run my engines dry in my mower and snowblower when they are stored for the season.

Project farm did a recent test with e10 and stabilizer and e0 and stabilizer stored for a year with and without stabilizer. In his test stabilizer basically cdidn't help at all with the major corrosion at all with the e10. E0 was fine without stabilizer after a year in storage.

This test and mine and other's experience is completely different than all the ethanol lovers in here that say they have never had an issue with ethanol. I hope most people don't listen to these guys since they are absolutely wrong. People get lucky sometimes or the gas hasn't sat quite long enough to go bad. It doesn't mean it's fine for long term storage.

IMO, it's all about the amount of "breathing" the particular fuel system does. On mowers, snowthrowers, boats, etc, the fuel tank is basically open to the atmosphere. Even when a stabilizer is used, it's only going to last so long.

On small OPE that uses a duck bill type check valve in the cap, like weed wackers, chain saws, etc. Fuel, even when not stabilized with something tends to last much longer.

This is why when you are storing fuel in portable storage containers, keep them sealed TIGHT. Even E10 will last a long time that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back