Stored Generator w Fuel or Empty the Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Honda EU6500is inverter generator that is stored outdoors (under a tarp). Steel gas tank.

I understand that many of you generator owners run your equipment completely out of fuel out, or drain out all the fuel (until the next power outage occurs).

I recently read that someone said, it is best to leave some gas + Stabil mixture in the tank, shut off the fuel supply and run until the engine runs out of fuel. I have been doing this, but I was told the REASON you don't leave the tank empty, (and carb dry) are, "The needle valve tip (made of rubber) will dry out if the carb is completely dry". They went on to say, they have seen brand new generators, (stored long term), still in the box with this valve frozen in the "up" position, or a resulting generator carb related spring that has lost its tension."

I never heard this before. Any truth to this statement?

I thought rust in the steel gas tank or condensation would be the only concerns for equipment stored out of doors (with the gas tank empty). Also, any trash or debris in the fuel, wound up in the carb, if I ran my generator completely out of fuel for long term storage. The results I had were hard to start problems, the next time I refilled it.

Well, there will be two schools of thought here.
I am of the school that believes in leaving the gas tank full with stabilizer for no longer than 1 year.

I have an older generator, and i just bought a new small one. I use stabil and 1oz of tcw3 to 5 gallons of fuel. I run my gen dry. Every 3 months i put a bit in it and let it run out again.

If it was 2 cycle, i don't like to let them run out of fuel.

I store my EU2000i Honda with a full tank w/Startron fuel stabilizer. I run it a few times a year. It's always ready to go if needed. No need to fumble filling with gas in a power outage. Also running it empty allows air to dry out gaskets and seals of the carb. and associated fuel system parts.

Personally I would be more worried about leaving it outside than anything else. Lots of warming and cooling cycles, sucking in moisture each time it cools down. That said, I store my generator with fuel treated with Stabil Marine 360. This product has a high vapor pressure which is intended to keep a positive pressure in the fuel tank.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Personally I would be more worried about leaving it outside than anything else. Lots of warming and cooling cycles, sucking in moisture each time it cools down.

Yeah, this. Outside on a pallet under a tarp is gonna corrode everything! Not just what's visible but the brushes and armatures and all those fancy electric bits that make it go!

Could you at least get it on some cinder blocks in some sort of "doghouse" with ventilation?

You can store for about 1 year with either Startron (preferred over Sta-Bil) or Sta-Bil fuel treatment. Longer than that empty the tank.

Last edited:
I have done both with lawnmowers, snowblowers, motorcycles and other equipment. Always found they start best next time after being ran until empty. Leaving fuel in even with Stabil and other stabilizers tend to run a bit rougher for a while at next start up.

I've been doing the same thing for over 25 years, and my method has never let me down:

1) Ethanol-free fuel with Sta-Bil
2) Tank filled to the top
3) run with valve off until it quits (carb float bowl empty)

This method has given me 100% success rate since the early to mid 1990's

Originally Posted by Linctex
I've been doing the same thing for over 25 years, and my method has never let me down:

1) Ethanol-free fuel with Sta-Bil
2) Tank filled to the top
3) run with valve off until it quits (carb float bowl empty)

This method has given me 100% success rate since the early to mid 1990's

I never use Sta-Bil since my gas is non-ethanol and I've never had any problems. This could be because it's only 4-5 months between the end of one lawn mowing season and the beginning of another. I may be in trouble if we have an unusually long winter.

Originally Posted by spk2000
I have done both with lawnmowers, snowblowers, motorcycles and other equipment. Always found they start best next time after being ran until empty. Leaving fuel in even with Stabil and other stabilizers tend to run a bit rougher for a while at next start up.

Same here.

I used to leave my 2kW INV genny filled, with stabilizer. Every time I needed it, it was very hard to start and would run rough for the first 10-30 seconds.

For the past two times I've used it, I had previous run the tank dry. The generator has started on the second pull and only run rough for the first few seconds.

//

Is it true that gaskets and the like are at risk of deteriorating? I have never heard that before for small engine fuel systems, though I'm still a newb.

Full tank, E0 with TC-W3. I also don't run the carb dry. If you're planning on using this in an emergency you need to be running it on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by hatt
Full tank, E0 with TC-W3. I also don't run the carb dry. If you're planning on using this in an emergency you need to be running it on a regular basis.

Everywhere is different, and things can sneak up on you; however, I've never had that misfortune. If a big storm is forecast, I fill'er up and make sure I have a reserve of gas on hand. Other than that, I keep only enough to keep the OPE running.

//

What's the point of the TC-W3? This seems common here and I can't understand its purpose in a 4-stroke. I remember reading more threads about this when I first joined, but its use seems to have petered out; either that, or people just don't talk about it as much these days.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

What's the point of the TC-W3? This seems common here and I can't understand its purpose in a 4-stroke.

For me it keeps the float needle seat from sticking. I have an aerator that will stick if it sits unless it has some in the fuel.

Seems to keep the carb lubed and i think keeps crud from forming in the tank and fuel bowl. I generally only use it in ope in the last tank before storage.

Last edited:
At wife's work they have a back up portable generator and always run it with stabilizer and run the carb out of fuel when done and change fuel in tank if ever sets a one year, for long time storage on friends generators I service fresh oil and run until out of fuel becasue some of his many may set for years between uses and never had a problem with refilling and running great when put in service.

Originally Posted by Best F100
I have an old Honda EU6500is inverter generator that is stored outdoors (under a tarp). Steel gas tank.

I understand that many of you generator owners run your equipment completely out of fuel out, or drain out all the fuel (until the next power outage occurs).

I recently read that someone said, it is best to leave some gas + Stabil mixture in the tank, shut off the fuel supply and run until the engine runs out of fuel. I have been doing this, but I was told the REASON you don't leave the tank empty, (and carb dry) are, "The needle valve tip (made of rubber) will dry out if the carb is completely dry". They went on to say, they have seen brand new generators, (stored long term), still in the box with this valve frozen in the "up" position, or a resulting generator carb related spring that has lost its tension."

I never heard this before. Any truth to this statement?

I thought rust in the steel gas tank or condensation would be the only concerns for equipment stored out of doors (with the gas tank empty). Also, any trash or debris in the fuel, wound up in the carb, if I ran my generator completely out of fuel for long term storage. The results I had were hard to start problems, the next time I refilled it.

Can't be that old - introduced in 2008. Quite a fine unit and big $$$$. Is it not possible to pull it out and exercise it every month or so? Please expand on your storage method "under a tarp".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by hatt

Everywhere is different, and things can sneak up on you; however, I've never had that misfortune. If a big storm is forecast, I fill'er up and make sure I have a reserve of gas on hand. Other than that, I keep only enough to keep the OPE running.

//

What's the point of the TC-W3? This seems common here and I can't understand its purpose in a 4-stroke. I remember reading more threads about this when I first joined, but its use seems to have petered out; either that, or people just don't talk about it as much these days.

Cleaner combustion chamber, UCL, and as pointed out above it likely helps keep carbs working. It's super cheap and easy to eyeball an ounce of oil when I bring a can of gas back from the filling station. Even if it does nothing it's worth the $1 a year to make me feel better.

Steel tank is the deal breaker gotta keep it full to the top E0 with marine stabil would be best. If it were mine it would be stored on VPracing SEF as my steel Honda pressure washer tank always stored with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back